Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
demotricus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy fingerprint scanner not working

Does anybody have a clue how to get the fingerprint scanner to actually work ? - in all the time I`ve had this laptop  it`s NEVER really functioned  properly.

1. It keeps  losing its registry settings  - & I  find myself constantly having to uninstall it and scan  for thedevice again  just to get it to even light up.

2. it point blank refuses to take a fingerprint scan, - according to it , the sensor is either too dirty , I`m moving my finger too fast  or  using the "wrong" stroke when  scanning.

if its such a unreliable  device - why  even include it in this  otherwise excellent laptop? - I have no issues with the actual machine itself,  other than its  running the awful windows 8.1 operating system  - which I find is bugged beyond belief- I`d really much have preferred to buy this  laptop with windows 7  on it but thats  another story entirely...sigh.

Back to the fingerprint scanner - has ANYONE got it to work?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
7336 6300 358 762
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @demotricus,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are not able to get the fingerprint scanner to work on your notebook computer, I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To configure the fingerprint reader, I recommend following this document on Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 8). This should help to setup your passwords and use the fingerprint reader for login and website passwords.

For further assistance, I will need to know:

1. The Product and Model Number of your notebook computer.
  2. If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  3. If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
  4. If this is an on-going, or recent issue. 

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tags (1)
demotricus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The PC is an HP Envy Laptop PC with a Core i7 processor  and 12GB of RAM and an Nvidia Geforce  video card, unfortunately I cannot give you the model number at present  for good reason, - I`m downloading a large file which will take several hours to complete. So going into the bios  is out at the moment.

I did look underneath it and there is NO product label on it, - also I tried the  Fn key plus Esc  key combination and  absolutely NOTHING happened onscreen.

I have windows update turned OFF and again  for good reason,  recently an update completely destroyed all functionality of windows 8.1 and threw me  into a repair loop, - none of the actual windows  recovery options worked  and I had to factory reset and re-install everything., - of course with the  updates switched ON, - the next time  I cycled the power it just tried to load the errant update again and this  killed  the operating system again, therefore I now  keep them switched  firmly OFF.

I have  neither  the time  , patience  or skill to find out WHICH of the  many updates is causing the problem so now  work under the  premise of "if it works  - leave it alone" and refuse to download  or run any more windows updates as I know that  the first time I do this , it will again  kill the operating system.

The driver for the reader is the latest one - it has to be  because I deleted it and redownloaded it to cure the  registry issue. - (It has since  stopped lighting up again btw).

This  is  an otherwise  fine machine , - its  fast  & responsive (once its got going lol), - even if it does take  an age to boot up , but I blame the poor  operating system for that , not the hardware. - With windows 7 in it , this machine would be awesome  but with windows 8 its  hobbled. I`ve  found Windows 8  to be the worst  and buggiest  Operating system I`ve ever used and  truly would not wish it upon an enemy - it`s THAT bad.

To be honest I think I`m just going to live  with it, as conveinient as it would  be  to sign in with a swipe  of my  finger the  fact that its never worked  does put me off a great deal , - my post was more out of curiousity than anything as I wondered if this  was  a common problem or whether I`d just  got  a bad reader in mine.

Thanks  for  your help.

0 Kudos
ItsAboatTime Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Democritus,

No solutions, just solace. I have essentially the same machine and problem. The F-reader for me is just uselessly sporadic. It lights up only 50% of the time I open the cover and of that 50%, is able to read the stroke about another 50% for a total success rate of maybe 1 in 4. I just live with it as just another Windows bling-thing gone bad... never tried re-installing the driver. Pretty much the same opinion RE: Windows 8 too. Have you tried "Classic Shell" yet? Pretty darn good Windows 7 emulator that keeps Windows (H)Ate caged up off in a corner, with only an occasional snarl sneaking through.

0 Kudos
demotricus Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes , I`m pretty sure its a windows 8.1 issue and not down to the actual hardware.

If I enter the config and delete the driver then let it auto-detect and re-install a driver it works for maybe 30 minutes or so then reverts to exactly the same issue.

When it does work I get about the same success rate - maybe a bit less. - I`d say 1 in 7 times it reads a print at all.

Yes I run Classic Shell, - I did try Start8 but found to my dismay that like ALL stardock software, it was buggy and unreliable. ( Whatever you do  don`t install fences - I`ve never seen such a flawed program).

Classic shell is great - haven`t had a single problem with it, its more flexible AND it`s free,  - a "win-win" situation (groan).

I still have all sorts of problems with windows 8 though and can`t wait  to get rid of it. -I`ll be running either  windows 7 or Linux mint on this machine once my warranty is up.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation