cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

HP Envy m6 Switchable Graphics - Radeon HD 7670M not appearing?

HP Recommended

A few months ago, I bought an HP Envy m6, supposedly with two GPUs, the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the Radeon HD 7670M. After a number of display problems, I'm not 100% sure that my notebook is using the correct when playing games (which they've handled pretty well). This is more a question of how I go about checking this (not being the most knowledgeable person on the matter).

When I open up Device Manager, I see both GPUs in the display section - all good there. However, when I right click on my desktop background and select configure switchable graphics, I only get the option of assigning Power Saving or High Performance modes.

I would be ok with this if I could confirm that the High Performance mode does indeed use the Radeon HD adapter. I'm not sure about this, as right clicking on the system tray icon for the Catalyst Control Centre displays only the Intel GPU appears, and dxdiag only shows the Intel adapter in the display settings.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,494 41,741 4,567 12,072
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an Envy17-3002ea notebook as a current product loan. To switch to the AMD adapter I right-click and select configure switchable graphics. If I want to ensure that the High power GPU stays selected when I remove the power adapter connector I must remove the checkmark in the automatically switch box. See the image below with DXDIAG as proof of concept. I do hope this also works in your case.

AMD switch.PNG 

Regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi erico,

When I right click and select configure switchable graphics, I don't get the same page you do: instead, I get a list of applications, which I can assign to using the high performance GPU or the power saving one (see attached image). Having looked around in each available menu, I can't seem to find this page - if I can get to here, I think I can follow your instructions to determine whether or not the high performance GPU is actually being used.

Configure Switchable Graphics Menu.png

EDIT: I believe the discrepancy between your Configure Switchable Graphics Screen and my own is that yours seems to be in line with the Fixed Mode configurations, while mine shows dynamic. I've tried running programs on the high performance GPU (i.e. the Radeon one) and running dxdiag to see if that's the one being used, but I don't think it will pick it up (as the system will still be running on the Intel one, while the 'app' will be using the high-performance adapter). Does this sound right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

options.jpg

When I click on the question mark in the Catalyst Control Center for my loaner notebook I am able to access more options.

options1.PNG

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply erico.

When I click on the question mark, it brings me to the page below. I am noticing that it says this is only available on Windows 7 systems supporting multiple. Given that I'm on a Windows 8 system, and have not ever seen any way of being able to change to fixed mode, perhaps I can't easily change it to a fixed mode, to see if the high-performance GPU is being used.

help page.png

If I type in the address for the page you get to by clicking the question mark, I get a similar page, but there is no way to get to a fixed mode - following the instructions still leads me to a dynamic mode app-specific selection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My suggestion was that you click on the question mark, not type in the address. That way you can see which options are available to you.

HP has produced and brought to market more than a thousand different models of notebooks and desktop PCs over the years. It is difficult to help you if we don't know which specific model you own..

Method #1: If the notebook will boot into Windows, you can retrieve your Product Number by pressing Fn + Esc key.

Method #2:
Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a Service tag with printed part number and a product name. Please post the p/n (with all alphanumeric characters) here. If you live outside of North America, it helps us if you post the country of purchase. Also post the installed CPU type. (AMD or Intel)

Don't forget to post the name of the installed operating system if you haven't already done that.

Regards,

erico

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Erico,

I did click on the question mark, and posted the page that appeared after I clicked the question mark. As such, I don't think I am able to change to a Fixed Mode system, as these instructions never appe

However, having tested my switchable graphics settings in games today, it appears that they are working, and that there is a very noticeable difference between the power saving GPU and the high performance one, leading me to think that it is indeed working correctly (although I admittedly can't state this definitely). If you want, I can still post the information you asked for, but I don't see any way of getting a Fixed mode setting to appear in my CCC, and everything now appears to be working fine. Thank you for your help in clearing up this issue for me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using model HP ENVY m6-1232sa

I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my envy m6 with 'switchable' graphics. I've been unable to get anything other than device manager to 'see' the 7670 GPU.  Even settings 'High Performance' mode for dxdiag and 'Maximise Performance' for both on power and battery dxdiag continues to 'see' the HD 4000 only.  I've uninstalled (using delete driver) all display adaptors and re-installed from the downloads for my machine to no effect.  There is no bios option for graphics and it appears that neither of the bios downloads for this machine have added any graphics options: leaving me unable to switch from dynamic to fixed mode.  Even Catalyst Control only see's the HD 4000 GPU and so can't hot switch using the tray applet either.  I was hoping to run some more recent games on this but looks like I may have to return it and get my money back,  It's no good if having a 3d gpu if I can't use it!

I've already spent upwards of 4 hours fixing driver issues when the audio suddenly decided that any headphones I plugged in were 'communication headphones' leaving me unable to use headphones for gaming or watching video or listening to music.  I'm not a happy customer and am currently feeling that it's unlikely I'll buy an HP machine again after this experience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have been having the same problem with my HP Envy m6-1243sa.

Has anyone managed to fix this? It looks like it could be due to the drivers not working properly with Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
5,476 6,075 339 867
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi davethestuff,

I see that you are having some graphics problems. I will be happy to help. I will need some additional information, what is your product number?

Find your product number on a notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation