cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ECA17
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP Envy m6 sleekbook k010dx battery replacing

HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6-k010dx Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I have an HP Envy m6 sleekbook k010dx with what I believe to be a battery in need of replacement. A replacement battery was not available on the HP parts store website, and an HP sales agent told me that the battery is not sold by HP anymore and that I'd have to buy from HP resellers. The HP resellers kept asking me for a company name to register for an account to even attempt to search for products they sold, which I have nothing to do with (I'm just a person with a laptop). I took a risk and ordered a replacement battery from a 3rd party with a positive reputation. Unfortunately, this battery does not work and I am looking to understand why

Here are the details of my old battery: 

-The battery still holds a charge, though it has numerous problems and appears to be heavily worn. It will charge while my laptop is plugged in.
-Appears to be at upwards of 56% wear. Battery test claims the battery only has about 22,000 design capacity and max charge capacity, which based on battery history from a "/cfg batteryreport" test in command prompt, has consistently gone down in recent months , which is in line with what I was observing with performance. HP Support Assistant also stated the battery needs to be calibrated both before and having charging to 100% and letting it continue charging for a few hours as HP support assistant guided me to do, which suggests a replacement battery was needed.
-"PX03XL Notebook Battery; Rechargeable Li-Ion"
-"Replace with HP spare 715050-001 ; mfg 2013/05"
-"Part number: 714762-2C1"
-"For use with HP series TPN-C109, TPN-C110, TPN-C111 family of computer products only."
-11.1V, 4350mAh
-11.1V, 4520mAh (two different mAh numbers on different parts of battery)

Here are the details of my replacement battery:

-The battery is not detected by my machine, has 0% charge, and/or only charges for a split second before returning to either non-detection or 0% charge. I attempted to charge it for several hours before deciding it was best to not have it in my computer due to the risk involved.
-I managed to run a batteryreport in command prompt at one point with the battery. The machine detected the battery but had no clue what its design capacity was or charge level was.
-"PX03XL Notebook Battery; Rechargeable Li-Ion"
-"Replace with HP Spare 715050-001 ; mfg 2013/10"
-"Part number: 714762-421(3ICP7/65/80)"
-"For use with HP series TPN-C109, TPN-C110, TPN-C111 family of computer products only."
-11.25V, 4340 mAh

-I am curious if the slightly different voltage resulted in the battery not being detected, if the problem stems from the replacement battery, or if the problem stems from my laptop.
-The laptop functions perfectly fine w/o any battery in it while plugged into the AC. The laptop can function under lower-demand usage with the old battery in and/or the battery + charger in. The laptop will randomly disconnect with the older battery inside it, especially under higher usage such as skype calls, which I have heard is likely a dying battery shortcircuiting the laptop.
-I was prompted to buy a new battery after my laptop turned off under higher usage with 95% charge, and would not turn back on (power light turned on momentarily then turned back off immediately, less than a second on) until I took the battery out (however, after leaving the battery for a week or so and re-attempting it after finding my new battery to not work, the battery worked as it was working just before that final turn-off. I attempted using the old battery under higher usage and it randomly turned off again under high usage, even while plugged in, which prompted me to keep the old battery out of the laptop.)

Some things I have tested:
-Holding down the power button for 10 seconds trick w/ battery out
-Upgrading the BIOS
-Checking the drivers

Possibly related: I have some trouble with the power jack[sic?] (Receiving end, hole in the laptop for the charger) in that it appears to be pushed in somewhat. It can be difficult for the charger to remain connected if the charger or laptop is moved. It was especially prominent in that it was difficult for my charger and/or laptop to charge the battery properly.

Any help or insight is appreciated.   I'd like to have my laptop be more portable again.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ECA17 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you required a replacement battery and were unable to purchase one from the HP parts store and it was not available.  HP sales agent told you  that the battery is not sold by HP anymore and that you would need  to buy from HP resellers. 

Your part number is 715050-001 and you replaced it with part number 714762-2C1" and it is not working.

From the HP ENVY m6 Sleekbook HP ENVY Touchsmart m6 SleekBook HP ENVY TouchSmart m6 Ultrabook Maintenance and.... chapter 3, page 20 shows your replacement battery as a 3 cell, 50 WHr 4.52AH Li-ion battery.

I believe the battery you purchased  is not compatible. 

When I did a Google search with the correct part number the correct battery is available.

I suggest contacting HP support for clarification if the battery you purchased is compatible.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
ECA17
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Neither battery has the part number "715050-001". Both batteries have a sticker that say "Replace with HP spare 715050-001".

The old battery which did work had the part number 714762-2C1.
The new battery that did not work has the part number 714762-421(3ICP7/65/80).

When I check the hp PartSurfer for "715050-001", an item comes up but there isn't an "add to cart" option.
When I check the hp PartSurfer for "714762-2C1", nothing comes up.

I am having trouble finding my battery on google. Can you provide me any links?

Here is an exert from a discussion I had with a sales representative a couple weeks ago:

03/15/2015 01:15:04PM Edward: ""Replace with HP Spare 715050-001" HP part number: 714762-2C1"
03/15/2015 01:18:01PM Edward: "I'm under the impression that the battery is no longer able to be purchased, so I'm unsure of where to go from here."
03/15/2015 01:18:41PM Agent (Emily): "Thnak you. Yes it is only available through our Hewlett Packard authorized resellers. Would you like their contact information?"

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ECA17 ,

Thank you for your replay.

Here is a link to the Google search I did for the correct part.

Hp part number 715050-001 Google Search

If you are still unable to locate the replacement battery please contact HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
envy2014
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ordered online at http://www.battdepot.com/us/  a replacement Notebook Battery for HP Envy M6-K010DX 11.1 Volt Li-Polymer Laptop Battery (4250mAh / 50  Item# LHP278, haven't received yet hopefully it works.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation