Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy right side screen hinge broken!

Hp Envy 15t j000 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am hoping for assistance with repairing or replacing the screen hinge on the right side of my laptop.  When I open the screen I can see the actual laptop body splitting.  Looking inside the screw hole I can see broken black plastic and and hear something moving inside when opening/closing.

The computer is only about 15 mo old, so it is out of warranty, but since it's my secondary laptop I would have expected something as basic as the hinge to last a lot longer than this!  

Does anyone know if HP is able to send me a free replacement part that I can use to fix it myself?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,908
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @matt167698,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it was going to cost nearly $200 to replace the hinge through HP which to me is simply way too expensive given the fact that this issue is clearly widespread and seems to be due to a either poor materials or design.  Anyways,  I decided to take it into my own hand and took off the bottom case. (photo attached)

It seems that the actual hinge itself is not broken, but the cheap plastic was unable to sustain to pressure of opening and closing the display and crumbled into dozens of small pieces.

I don't knowif replacing the entire plastic piece is an option since it seems to be a large single piece which runs down the length of the computer.

Is that what needs to be replaced?  Can it even be replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Matt

20150325_123559.jpg

Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,908
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @matt167698 ,

Thank you for your reply.

As you are attempting to repair the unit yourself here is a link to the HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC and HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide that you may find useful.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 0 4
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seriously how is a repair guide going to help mend that broken plastic. 

You guys should do a recall on this laptop due to quality control. You are going to lose many future customers because you want to be Cheap and not legitimately fix the problem.

I have the same laptop. Same problem as everyone else. Hinges break under normal use. 

Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yup it's crazy, I was warned not to buy an HP and did it anyway... stupid but learned my lesson. Now I'm also getting a notification that I need a higher watt AC charger even though I have the highest one and read that it to may need to be replaced? All on a $1000 computer bought in Nov 2013... now I'm supposed to spend $400 again fixing their defective products??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,908
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mattymatt1 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks sparkles but I have already talked with HP support and they are unable to do anything.  

Oh and also this Intel Centrino 2230  wifi card is garbage so I'm in the process of replacing that as well.  So a year and a half old computer has a broken hinge, a failing AC adapter (?), and a new wifi card.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have that hinge issue to....I love the laptop but this sucks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
20,470 15,805 324 1,207
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mill1978

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation