Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I recently purchased the HP Envy M6 AQ105DX laptop and as I was upgrading the RAM and the hard drive to an SSD, I noticed that there was an M.2 slot on the motherboard that may allow for a secondary SSD for the operating system.  I tried to do some resaerch, but since it is a relatively new laptop, there doesn't seem to be too many post on this particular laptop. I noticed that there are several posts about previous versons of the x360, but I am wary of trusting those answers because obviously technology changes, and different motherboards are used and specs change. 

Anywho, the label right next to the port says mSATA, but all of the mSata SSD for sale online have different pin configurations. The form that looks closet to my port is a PCIe slot. I have included a picture of my slot and if someone could confirm the compatibility, I will forever be in your debt. Thank you.msata.jpg

106 REPLIES 106
HP Recommended

Hi,

From your image, I can't see which way you can fit a M.2 (mSATA) SSD, side way or up-side-down. At least it must be like

Image result for m.2 motherboard

which numbers which show the length of the SSD.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

From what I can gather by deductive reasoning, it would require an 80mm SSD.20161118_135403_LI (3).jpg

HP Recommended

20161118_135403_LI (4).jpg

HP Recommended

There is this another model in the Envy x360 series sold on the HP website with 1TB and 128 GB SSD. If someone who has that laptop can tell us what is the spec of the SSD installed. We could try that, it has a very good chance of working out. Considering that Envy x360 M6 aq105dx and the other one have the same motherboard.

HP Recommended

I did a little digging on the Crucial website, it has a compatibility tool on the main page. The exact model isn't listed, or at least I am unable to find it. But I looked at several models that are very close, and the one that gives the compatibility for that line of laptops in general, and there seems to be a definitive answer. See pic. crucial.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, I just received this exact same model laptop and wanted to add m2 ssd as well.  Pardon me if I hijacked the topic ... How do you open the case?  I don't want to damage it.  I was able to unscrew the 6 special screws and the 2 screws below the two rubber tab.  Are there any other screws?  Also, what the best way to pop open the case?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@hchen42 wrote:

Hi, I just received this exact same model laptop and wanted to add m2 ssd as well.  Pardon me if I hijacked the topic about... How do you open the case?  I don't want to damage it.  I was able to unscrew the 6 special screws and the 2 screws below the two rubber tab.  Are there any other screws?  Also, what the best way to pop open the case?  Thanks.

After you get all of those screws off, all you have to do is grab for the hinge side, there is a very thin, long vent that runs pretty much from hinge to hinge, you should be able to get enough grip on the ledge, and just lightly pry with your fingertips. There are tabs holding the cover on running all around the perimeter, and magnets holding the front of the cover in place. You should be able to apply pressure to it without breaking anything.

HP Recommended

This is a pic from google, and not an actual picture of my computer, but it illustrates that even though the pin configuration is an "m" and "b" type, you are able to install it in the port without the second plastic channel divider. ASUS-Z97-Plextor-M.2-M6e-SSD-1024x576.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks, I pried it open.  Minimal damage. 🙂

Looks like 2280 form factor and pcie.  I am going to check if I can pick one ssd up at local microcenter or best buy just to test it out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.