Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Adamais Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Keyboard and Mouse Problem

HP pavillion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

One day as I was scrolling in my FB newsfeed I pressed to see a FB video and put it on full screen. When I finished watching it I tried to press ESC and nothing happened. I then realised that my keyboard keys and my touchpad was not working.

BUT the brightness,wireless and FN+space (combination ( the light around my touchpad would turn on and off everytime i did the combination mentioned before) were working.

On my pc I have dual boot for windows 10 and Ubuntu.. So I restarted the pc and logged in to my Ubuntu and from there I connected a bluetooth keyboard I had and a mouse, I changed the startup files and now my PC logs in to W10.

The bluetooth keyboard wont work on keyboard and now I cannot login to Linux since I changed the startup order.

The funny thing is that on my bluetooth keyboard the only keys that are missing compared to the original keyboard on my laptop are the keys I mentioned that still work. because of that I am not completely convinced that it is a hardware problem.

Did I accidentally lock something on my windows 10 and the keys are not working? 

I already did the hard reset sessions and the unistallation of the drivers ( just briefing the guys who were about to tell me to do that :P )

Thanks a lot and please if you can help, do so!
Adamos

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2283
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Adamais

Welcome to HP Forums, 

this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)

As I understand there is a Keyboard and Mouse Problem,

Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you are since the long messages gets confusing at times :P

Do you mean that the function keys work with the spacebar and so on, but the other keys aren't working?

And the other keys aren't working on the external Bluetooth keyboard as well?

And also need some clarification on dual boot, did you attempt to change the boot order again and if yes, did it work? are you able to get to ubuntu again?

Eagerly awaiting your response.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Adamais Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!
Thanks for your answer!|

As I mentioned before, the only keys working are the brightness keys and wireless key. And the FN + keyboard combination.

Nothing else. Also, the CAPS LOCK key light is ON all the time and nothing happens if I press it.

All the keys work fine on my bluetooth keyboard..The problematic one is the built-in one on my laptop(as well as my touchpad).

At first before the problem appeared, the dual boot order was the Ubuntu first and then the Windows. So when the problem appeared I restarted the laptop and because I could not move the selected field with the arrows at the startup it logged in automatically to Ubuntu. From there, I changed the boot order to log in to my Windows 10 the next time I rebooted it. And from then I couldnt log in to my Ubuntu.

Sorry for the long message again!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1325 2283
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Adamais

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate the details you've provided this time, though it was long, it was to the point ;)

Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here

(Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

And here's a guided troubleshooter, all you have to do is click the appropriate button at the bottom of the screen and follow the steps on the top: Click here

Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting"

• Try this first: Use the HP Guided Solution
  • Pressing keys does nothing (keyboard is not working)
  • Key presses are slow to respond
  • Pressing a key once types several characters
  • Function keys do not work
  • Computer beeps while typing
  • Wrong characters appear when typing, changing keyboard language, or Dvorak
  • Stuck notebook key

For details: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation