Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MKMAC1969 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP LAPTOP STUCK ON HP LOGO SCREEN AFTER WIN 10 UPGRADE

HP 15 NOTEBOOK PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

MORNING ALL.

I am trying to fix a laptop for my mother, she was given a Notebook (hp) for Christmas a couple year ago and it had windows 8.1. She hated it and found it very confusing. But so as not to upset my sister in law wouldnt change it in any way. ie: upgrading to Windows 10. So now that her desktop computer ha totally died she is having to use this one. She asked me to upgrade it to windows 10 because it looks like 7 and she understands that one. So I went to download windows 10 and got all the way through it up to the point of were it said Your PC will shut down many times through this install. It was but finally I had to crash at 1am. So I left it to do what it needed to. This morning, it is stuck on a screen that just shows HP logo in the center, no esc buttons, no nothing. 

Did the install fail and how can I get past this screen?

thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MKMAC1969,

Welcome to the HP Forum! :)  It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you to have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More What is the product or model number? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I grasp that you tried to update your mother's notebook to Windows 10. You did the download and started the installation. It advised you that it would restart the computer multiple times during this process. As was going to take some time you went to bed. In the morning the notebook was stuck on the HP logo and is not responding. Please do a hard reset. HP Notebook PCs - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues. If that did not help, try booting into safe mode to troubleshoot the issue. HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 8). Please keep me apprised of your progress.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
PhoneSmart Tutor
Tutor
10 9 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I recently ran into this with a client's laptop. It appears that the windows 10 upgrade on some models is having a graphics problem and the boot logo is sticking while the installer is up. If you just press your enter key every so often eventually it will go through and finish setup. (I'm guessing there's a dialog or two waiting on confirmation which is why it just sits indefinitely).  Hope this helps anyone running into same issue.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation