cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GirlDownunder Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Mini 210-1018TU, dead hard drive, no recovery media

HP Mini 210-1018TU
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

All I'd like is a link to a Win 7 starter ISO.

For HP to sit back & pretend that most end-users (most who have never even set their VHS players) are capable of creating media is insane & dereliction of duty, imho.

I have this netbook from grand-parents (now deceased). The hard drive is dead.

Why in the world don't companies provide the stupid media to put back what you paid for?

End of rant

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
41,067 39,545 6,153 10,666
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cost, profit. 

People just lose the disks anyway. 

There are sites that mirror the old Microsoft Digital River downloads and I know specifically there is one with a Windows 7 .iso torrent you can use to create a Windows 7 Starter disk. 

You are on your own with this:

Mirror site

I have tried a couple of these and they seem to be OK but can't gurantee they are all free of malware, etc. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102,662 96,739 14,987 23,090
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is a link to the W7 Starter ISO file.  You need to use this link within 24 hours...

http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_Starter_SP1_English_COEM_x32.iso?t=feca1f58-6380-4358...

After downloading the file, use the Microsoft ISO to USB/DVD tool which will transfer the file to a DVD or 4 GB USB flash drive so it is bootable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

Unfortunately, even the Win 7 ISO won't help.

I need the actual ISO for this netbook, from HP.

In their infinite wisdom, there is NO product key/label on the bloody thing! No sign of one ever being on it, nothing in the battery compartment. All it has is it's Win 7 Starter case badge.

And for the record, I have, in the past, created factory discs, only to have them fail when finally used. The pressed discs, which used to be provided were of a far greater quality than any burned disc could ever be.

I'm sorry-- that, is absolute theft of my operating system to not even give you any chance at recovery after a failed HDD. There's no reason they cannot provide FTP access to the ISO's for their products if this is how they sell them.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102,662 96,739 14,987 23,090
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm surprised the notebook didn't have a W7 product key on it somewhere, as that is a requirement by Microsoft to have the product key stickers attached to the case on all notebooks that came with W7.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to contact HP in Australia and see if they carry recovery media for your netbook.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Mini-210-1000-PC-series/4075896/model/4098497

At the bottom of the webpage there is a form to fill out to request assistance.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already done that & have yet to see a reply...

It may just have to stay a Linux machine.

I'm so over Microsoft (& their enablers, like HP, etc) bullying everyone into doing thier bidding. MS wants 10, that's all you'll get because there will be no more drivers for anything else. Rant #2.

Yes, Linux it shall be. I just booted up Mint & it's very snappy-- better than when it was running 7, actually...

Cheers

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation