Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ThinkFast76 Tutor
Tutor
5 3 1 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Notebook [15-ay117cl]: Error code: 0xc0000225: Your PC needs to be repaired

HP Notebook [15-ay117cl]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a retail 15.6" HD Notebook [15-ay117cl] (W10 from factory) Registered w/HP.

The first thing I did when I got it on 11-12-2016 was to boot into diagnostics and run the quick tests. Everything passed, so it was a good start.

I wanted to install Linux Mint Debian 2 and dual boot it along side of W10.

The first issuse was UEFI settings. My linux USB was not seen, so I enabled Legacy boot and booted System Rescue 4.72 image from USB to change the partitions with gparted. I tried to shrink the Windows System partition down to 100 GiB to make space for Linux. I could not shrink it at all (never had this issue in 20 years). That really upset me. I'm wasn't really excited about learning W10 anyway (Too much of a support nightmare), so I deleted the W10 System partition. Then I decided to delete the RE Tools partition (probably a mistake). I did not delete the recovery partition yet. I was getting ready to convert the MBR to GPT, when I thought "What if I want to sell Notebook someday". So I went to the support site to find a procedure to recover W10. I also looked into getting the Recovery image. But not for $40, that's rediculous!

So I want to try to restore W10 from the recovery partition. But I'm not sure it can be done without the RE Tools partition. In case there is any question about the error description, here's what the screen looked like:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your administrator or PC manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current partitions are (gparted):

Partition Name                                  File Sys        Label             Size                 Used              Unused         Flags
dev/sda1  EFI system partition    fat32                                    260.00 MiB    83.76 MiB  176.24 MiB  boot, esp
dev/sda2  Linux-Mint-Debian-2  ext4               Root                29.30 GiB   642.98 MiB    28.67 GiB
dev/sda3  /home                               ext4               home           876.33 GiB     13.95 GiB   862.38 GiB

dev/sda4  /swap                                linux-swap  swap              12.00 GiB         0.00 GiB     12.00 GiB

dev/sda5  Basic Data Partition    ntfs                RECOVERY    13.63 GiB      11.98 GiB        1.65 GiB  hidden, msftdata

unallocated                                         unallocated                            6.71 MiB                 ---              ---

The sda1 and sda5 partitions were not moved.

I believe the original partitions were (from memory):
Partition Name                                  File Sys        Label             Size                 Used              Unused         Flags
dev/sda1  EFI system partition    fat32                                    260.00 MiB    83.76 MiB  176.24 MiB  boot, esp
dev/sda2  Windows System          ntfs               ???                  9??.?? GiB       ??.?? GiB   ???.?? GiB
dev/sda3                                              ntfs                RE Tools         ??.?? GiB     ??.?? GiB   862.38 GiB

dev/sda4  Basic Data Partition    ntfs                RECOVERY    13.63 GiB      11.98 GiB        1.65 GiB  hidden, msftdata

unallocated                                         unallocated                            6.71 MiB                 ---              ---

If anyone sees any corrections to the original partition Labels, Size, Used, Unsed, or Flags, please let me know. I may have to correct the partitioning scheme before I can do a Recovery. If you look at the numbers in fdisk under Windows they will not look the same unless Microsoft has learned something in W10.

MiB stands for Mebibyte [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte] and is defined by the IEC_80000 Standard.

Next I'm expecting to hear that I'm not aloud to use MiB, but since I can't see the numbers as MB because I can't boot Windows, I don't have a way to see them. I did not expect this from a smart company such as HP. HP has there own version of Unix, so can't understand why this would be a policy (at least not with the old HP).  If I'm misinformed, please correct me.

Thanks in advanced.

[I see the preview format totally wacked my tables.]

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16246 16226 1162 1722
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Notebook [15-ay117cl]: Error code: 0xc0000225: Your PC needs to be repaired

Hi! @ThinkFast76, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you are unable to boot into PC and getting error-0xc0000225

It looks like the disk structure or the recovery partition has got corrupted or unreadable. Due to which you are unable to boot into your PC.

You would need a recovery media to fix the corrupted master boot record.

Once you get the recovery media you can try the following steps.

Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...

Click  Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options ->select  Command Prompt

Try running the following commands mentioned below.
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

If this does not fix the issue, Please perform a complete image recovery from the discs.

You can contact HP and order a set of recovery media.

Link to contact HP.

I will watch for your reply!

Have a wonderful day! :)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation