Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 1 (789 Views)

HP Notebook 635 with XP: Screen brightness

Dear all,

I run on my HP 635 (AMD E-350 processor with AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics) Microsoft XP Professional as OS. After XP installation I downloaded all recent drivers from the HP homepage. Afterwards I updated the AMD drivers via AMD homepage. The BIOS version on my notebook is F.24.

Now happens the usual: When my notebooks runs on battery, the screen gets darker .... It helps to save energy power but complicates working. Usually you could simply raise brightness by using Fn+F3. In HP-BIOS Setup I disabled the "Action Keys Mode" under "System Configuration" (enabling it doesn't solve the problem).

However, I cannot modify brightness under Windows XP. If I run e.g. GParted from an USB Stick, I can use Fn+F3 in order to adjust brightness. Also, when using XP, it gets bright again when I run the notebook with external power supply. So, I guess, it is not a hardware problem.

Besides, Fn hotkeys work as I can use them with my audio device.

Finally, under "energy options" in Windows XP settings I cannot modify the screen brightness.

That's it ... I don't know anything more I could do. Therefore I would like to ask you whether you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation