cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
WizZerD Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen - upgrade to Samsung 1TB Polaris SM961 NVMe M.2 80mm Solid State Drive/SSD

HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I hope I haven't made a mistake, but I just received a Samsung 1TB Polaris SM961 NVMe M.2 80mm Solid State Drive/SSD to upgrade my HP Omen with.

The laptop is not seeing the new drive.

- The bios is not seeing the drive

- Diagnostics saying device not present

- I have followed instructions to perform a hard reset.

I maybe foolishly believed that because it was mentioned that the 950 pro works, I assumed tha the 961 would work too..

But maybe i have received a faulty device ?

And tips comments or ideas ?

Thanks

Nigel

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 484 925
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Omen - upgrade to Samsung 1TB Polaris SM961 NVMe M.2 80mm Solid State Drive/SSD

Greetings @WizZerD,

Welcome to HP Forums, great place to find solutions and tips. 

Looking into your concern, I understand that you are trying to upgrade the HDD with a 1TB NVMe 2.0 SSD on your Omen notebook. Kudos to you for checking in BIOS and running diagnostics. I would like to help. 

Based on the specifications available for Omen 15 notebook, 512GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD is the maximum supported.

Please refer to the maintenance and service manual for Omen 15.

You can update the BIOS and check. Download it from www.hp.com/drivers

Let me know if this helped, for further assistance please provide the product number of your computer. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

WizZerD Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Chimney_83,

Thanks for the response, 

The model number 15-5090nz

Product number: K3F63EA#UUZ

The Bios installed is F.38 Rev.A, which is the latest I can find (July 16)

Running the diagnostics, just reports that there is no disk installed.

Is there a bios limitation on the size of the SSD?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,627 40,066 6,272 10,894
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The size of the disk is not the problem. There are huge compatibility issues with HP laptops and NVME M.2 disk right now that have many folks baffled. I just read a long post from someone who had issues installing a Samsung 950 Pro. Ultimately he apparently got it working by formatting it MBR, not GPT and turning off secure boot in the BIOS. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Zbook-17-G3-upgrade-samsung-950...

WizZerD Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback.

I can't re-format the disk as the laptop isn't even seeing it as installed.

I have tried downloading the samsung drivers and performing a windows 10 (64) install from usb, but it still isn't seeing the disk.

Today I ordered the ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter to be able to test if the device is working at all in my PC.

My laptop is still in guarantee (I hope) should I be opening a ticket with support ?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,627 40,066 6,272 10,894
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Check the disk first but unless you have a problem with the hardware originally shipped with the laptop HP is not going to recognize any warranty obligation. Upgrades are not covered by the warranty. 

0 Kudos
WizZerD Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I was going to place my old SSD back in the laptop when I noticed the new one was not seated completely in the socket. Giving it a little push corrected this and now I have been able to initiate a windows 10 install.

This is great... but..

After copying all the files, the system reboots and I get the following error:

"(3f0) boot device not found"

I have tried playing around with the boot order & swapping in & out of legacy mode, but the laptop does not want to boot onto the device.

Any ideas ?

0 Kudos
JolyonCox Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue.  I can clone the existing SSD on to the SM961, or install a fresh WIndows 10 on to it, even without using the Samsung drivers - it is supported natively in WIndows 10.

But when the system reboots after installation the BIOS cannot detect the disk at all.  M.2/NVMe seems to be a black art with no well-defined rules, which makes it a bit of an expensive joke as a "standard".

This is a high-performance, high-end notebook and the SM961 is an ideal partner for it.  Can HP really not make it work?

0 Kudos
WizZerD Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Chimney_83

I don't know if you have read through this thread, so I just want to update you with the status..

The model number 15-5090nz

Product number: K3F63EA#UUZ

The Bios installed is F.38 Rev.A, which is the latest I can find (July 16)

Origanally the SSD wasn't seated correctly in the socket, which is why nothing appeared to work. When I noticed that and pushed the disk in firmly, I was able to copy files to the disk. So now I know its not a disk problem.

I have since tried the following three courses of action.

1) Backup old disk & restore to new disk using HP's recovery utility

• The restore works up to the the first reboot of the laptop where I get the "(3f0) boot device not found" message

2) Backup & restore using Macrium Reflect to clone the disk

• The restore works up to the the first reboot of the laptop where I get the "(3f0) boot device not found" message

3) Clean Windows 10 (64bit) install

• The install works up to the first reboot of the laptop where I get the "(3f0) boot device not found" message

I am beginning to see a pattern here.

One thing I have not tried is a hard reset on the bios before installing the new disk.. do you think that will help?

Also, I am not the only one with this issue - see JolyonCox's post.

thanks again for any help.

0 Kudos
gdg444 Tutor
Tutor
16 15 1 2
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, my model HP OMEN 17-w151nr was released in Sept 2016 and I just installed Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

I let the tool download and create the USB stick and it was formatted and installed using UEIF, I did have to reset the bios to defaults but other than that it booted right up. Mine did come with a PM951 installed.

Only issue as of now is not getting read speeds I should be getting, but HP has said they will release a bios update in a month or two for that.

Samsung SM961 512GB installed.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation