Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-au183sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased my new notebook (HP Pavilion 15-au183sa) and have not powered it up yet as I wanted to ask a question regarding system restore. The shop where I bought it suggested that the F11 restore back to factory settings is not present in this model. Is this correct? I assume they were trying to sell me their support service where the laptop has been pre-set and backed up to a USB flash.

Also, can you confirm whether F10 allows access to the Bios setup for boot manager. I wish to get to boot manager to boot from CD as I have EASEUS TODO and would like to know if it is possible to backup the complete HDD before I fire it up for the 1st time ?

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not sure about no F11 to restore back to factory settings- but that would be quite odd. I have seen some of the smaller notebooks with 32Gb ssd that don't have it but normally all notebooks have the function. Yes, F10 enters BIOS but no need to enter BIOS.To boot from CD/DVD or USB simply start tapping Esc key immediately after powering on. This will bring up a menu to select F9 boot option. This will also show you if you have F11 option for factory reset.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
Hi,

Specs: http://support.hp.com/emea_middle_east-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-au100-notebook-pc/12499208/document...

It came with Windows 10 Home from factory.

It'll have a HP recovery manager application, use it to create Recovery USB (this can be done only ONCE).

You can create Recovery USB after setup of this new laptop. Keep it safely.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04641788

For performing recovery, follow this:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

By tapping f11 key after powering on laptop, it'll take you to HP recovery console. Definitely there is recovery partition in your notebook from factory.

F10 key do allow you to enter BIOS setup before boot. Tap it away as soon as you power on.

It is not possible to create Recovery USB before first boot up. You've to login to Windows first and then create Recovery USB. Please follow instructions given in HP document posted above.

To boot from another USB, you've to first disable secure boot and enable legacy from BIOS setup, save this setting. Then change boot order to USB by tapping f9 key as soon you power on, while USB is plugged in.

Regards

Visruth
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.