cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
13 12 0 0
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post

HP Pavilion 15-n252sq - Can not install Windows over Free Dos

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I've recently bought a HP Pavilion 15-n252sq laptop, with Free Dos - unfortunately i can't install Windows 7 over it, due to the following error i keep receiveing in the Installation screen:

"Select the driver to be installed" - and regardless of the paths i have and the available folders, i can not seem to proceed wtih the W7 installation.

Please notice that, i've tried to use both a W7 DVD and also a bootable USB drive (and yes, connected in the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 ) - but i always get to the same point where i have to select drivers.

Please also notice that the BIOS doesn't allow me to make any modifications except for some minor ones (like select boot priority, or enable USB 3.0), as the rest of the MAIN features are greyed out .

http://i59.tinypic.com/igbtdy.jpg

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
122,195 112,375 18,040 27,538
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Adrian:

Please see if this works for you...

Download the drivers from this link below (first or second file listed -- 32 or 64 bit as applicable).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

Extract the files onto a usb flash drive.

With the flash drive and W7 installation media plugged into the machine, boot from the W7 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully, W7 should install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 12 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended
  • sadly, it didn't work - i've followed all the above mentioned steps, used genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8 DVD's, but after it loads the driver it gives another prompt: "No new devices drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"
  • here is a picture of the above prompt: http://i62.tinypic.com/2d1kzzb.jpg
  • do you have any other ideas, please?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry that process didn't work.

Unfortunately, that is the only trick I know that works some of the time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 12 0 0
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So what would be my options now, in this case?

• take the laptop back, since i can't actually do anything with it, to the vendore store?
  • try to install a 32-bit Windows?
  • can you please tell me what model the HDD are on this particular laptop model, so i would try to find the actual HDD driver? I don't want to void my warranty by opening it up...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't work for HP.

I would not know what model HDD's HP installs in that notebook, and they may have different brands in the same model anyway.  It depends on their source of supply at the time of production.

You may be able to find the HDD model if you go into the BIOS. 

I would have to think that you would get the same errors if you tried to install a 32 bit OS.

You may want to consider returning it and getting one with Windows already installed, if you have that option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 12 0 0
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After a few hours of debating, i've managed to make it work, by installing Windows 8.1.

All good until i tried to install the nVidia GeForce 840m driver, which at some point returns the error that the video adapter is not present.

I've checked in the Device manager - and there are 3 drivers still not installed, amongst 3D Video Controller ( http://i60.tinypic.com/ildnio.jpg ).

I've installed all the chipset drivers for W8.1, rebooted several times, but those 3 drivers still do not install, thus neither the nVidia video card.

Any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is good news.

I still don't understand why W7 didn't work...

OK...you must install the Intel HD graphics driver first and reboot.

Then you install the nVidia graphics driver.

The unknown device needs this driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-124661-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Bluetooth...you install the corresponding bluetooth driver and software that matches the model wireless card your notebook has.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
13 12 0 0
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

- regarding the video card -  i've managed to install the Intel HD video adapter, rebooted - tried to install the Nvidia one, but i still got the same error (also the 3D Video Controller driver is still not installed in Device Manager)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know why that didn't work.

After the Intel driver was installed and the PC rebooted, the nVidia driver was supposed to install the 3D video controller (which is the nVidia 840M).

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation