Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Wendyb701 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 17t Hard Drive Short DST failed

Pavilion 17T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this Pavilion 17t in December of 2014.  Upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago.  Just last week the laptop got stuck in an automatic repair loop. I tried a hard reboot and that didn't work.  I ran the diagnostics test and got a Hard Drive Short DST check Failed.  Failure ID Q4JF9G-7G189F-MFPV7A-60SU03  Product ID J7B57AV.   Does this mean my hard drive is failing after such a short time?  Is there any solution other than an expensive repair?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37082 5596 9647
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes unfortunately it means the hard drive must be replaced. If you are willing to do it yourself, hard drives are probably not as expensive as you fear. We would need your precise model number to provide the correct manual and instructions and likely a video. Since you had Windows 10 installed and activated you can use media downloaded for free direct from Microsoft. 

0 Kudos
Wendyb701 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.  If I can't get the system to reboot, that may not be an option.  I'm running a memory check now. I'll try to reboot after that's complete.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37082 5596 9647
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Inability to boot is the reason why you would need to install the new hard drive so I am not understanding the comment. 

0 Kudos
Wendyb701 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you had Windows 10 installed and activated you can use media downloaded for free direct from Microsoft.  

I was referring to you comment above.  I thought you were suggesting that I do that from the "broken" computer.  My misunderstanding.  Sorry

0 Kudos
Wendyb701 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My product number is J8H36AV.  Is that what you need to determine the hard drive that I'll need?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37082 5596 9647
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it is a 17t-f000 model. Right now manual links are down but I will get you a service manual to show how to physically replace the drive. I assume you live in the US and will also link you to some places where you can buy a replacement drive. Then we will work on software reinstallation. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation