Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a problem with my laptop.  I tried connecting my laptop to the tv using a HDMI cable, and for some reason my laptop screen turnt black and was not registering on my tv.  So i diconnected the HDMI cable from the laptop and it switched off.  I have tried the hard reset test by removing battery and ac cable and holding down on the power button for 1 minute. Reconnected the ac cable (not the battery) and it still won't switch on.  The ac power light comes on when i plug the cable to the computer, but there's no sound, no light, nothing!!!  What have I done to cause this? Have I messed up the motherboard? Can you tell me if this is repairable and how much will it cost me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

LadyBay,

It sounds like you've done a good job starting your troubleshooting with the hard reset.  Here is an HP document that might help with further troubleshooting, Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with no Error Messages During Startup or Boot.   It suggests the hard reset, like you tried, and then goes on to give more toubleshooting steps in a logical order.

Hope it helps,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

After trying the hard reset test again, i tried connecting the laptop to a display screen, but still there is no start up sound, fan or lights coming on.  The only light that comes on is the ac connection port on the laptop.  The laptop does seem dead.  Do you have any more recommendations?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your patience in figuring this thing out.  You mentioned the possibility that the motherboard might have been affected.  Well, here's a document about the battery not powering the notebook or holding a charge.  You might go throught steps in this document.  It has instructions to troubleshoot the power supply, the system board, and the battery. 

Perhaps you can eliminate those as the problem.  Perhaps you'll find the issue.

And reading your original post, I'm not sure if what you did should cause any of the issues your seeing.  Perhaps someone else could chime in and have some suggestions.

Good luck,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.