Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
araT85 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion DV6614TX dying; screen tiling itself & glitchy graphics? (+PICS)

I have a bit of a stupid question for you all, mum's laptop (a ~4 year old HP Pavilion DV6614TX running Windows 7) is on the fritz; when watching stock market videos or playing graphic-intensive games (like DX-ball) the computer freezes, graphics get pixely & it eventually crashes. It's BSODd once, but by the time I got there to see it close up to read the error code it restarted, most of the time it just outright crashes sans-BSOD. It's also tiling the display occasionally when these lock-ups occur, or on start-up after a lock-up, it basically repeats the display 6 times tiled on the monitor.... i don't really know how to describe that succinctly, so I hope it makes sense to you.

SO I'm thinking it could be one of 3 things, RAM, Graphics card / graphics card memory, or just plain ol' overheating.

I've pulled the laptop apart & took to its fan with the hand vac for lack of an air compressor, but it's still starting up with the display tiled.. in fact, I can't seem to get it to start up without the display tiled at all now. I've just taken a pic of the phenomenon & will attach it in case I haven't described it well enough.

I'm replacement-shopping as we speak, but I'm hoping we can get at least a week or so (if not longer), out of this thing to give me some time to buy & set up a replacement for her.

Do you have any brilliant ideas? I'm about ready to call it dead & pull the HDD.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES
araT85 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems to be crashing more & more frequently, to the point that I can't see the desktop for more than 30 secs or so by now before it crashes, that tells me there's something else hinky going on too - I'd say this this is all typical overheating damage.

I've given in, pulled the HDD & pronounced it dead, ordered it's replacement (another HP of course), the funeral is on Tuesday, lol.

You can mark this thread as 'closed' or 'solved', or whatever you do here...

0 Kudos
cpdjoza Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem. I tried a system restore but didn't help so I ruled out anything bad downloaded. As you suspect must be a hardware issue.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation