cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
screnk
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Pavilion DV7 to windows 10 update problems

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV-7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just updated to Win 10. Now as soon as my system starts up the main menu screen starts blinking on and off and the fan come on really loud.

Ctrl/Alt/Del works but clicking any of the icons does nothing.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
compenthusiast
Level 5
286 279 8 30
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Screnk, could you provide more information on the condition of your laptop before the upgrade:

1.) Windows OS---Win 7, Win 8? You should require Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 to upgrade.

2.) How much Ram do you presently have?

There is some good info here about the upgrade---as far as requirements, and help.

The original up grade link with the search feature for your model here:

Upgrade to Windows 10 for HP computers

Good luck and looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
screnk
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have Win 7 home, totally up to date, 8G RAM everthing was working fine. Recentltly updated intelisense

0 Kudos
Khazidea
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am troubleshooting a machine with the same issue. Pavilion dv7, windows 7 (Original OS), i7-2670QM proc, 8 GB RAM.
Standard login takes approximately 1 min to get to the Desktop with background picture and icons, and another 1.5-2 minutes for the flickering to begin.
I can boot to Safe Mode from cmd and all is well with the screen, no flickering and I can access all icons. I ran "sfc /scannow" from within Safe Mode, and it completed with no issue, but did not resolve the flickering. I went to HP.com for drivers and they point to windows update, but when I try Windows Updates it doesn't work, I assume due to being in safe mode.
A look in device manager shows no errors or warnings. The display adapter is "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000". All drivers are already "the best driver software" for the device.
When logged in as the user (with flickering in the background) Task Manager shows the disk at %100 "across all physical drives". From Task Manager I was just able to access Control Panel. Tried to add a new user account to troubleshoot the profile (it's a family members computer), but RPC is not started (I'm not in safe mode).
I'll check t
Out Control Panel and Administrayive tools and update with findings.
0 Kudos
compenthusiast
Level 5
286 279 8 30
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From the Intel website here they show the newest Intel video drivers for Win 10

from the MS website for updating Win 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq

"Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery. " 

0 Kudos
RedeyeSPR
Level 1
4 3 1 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever solve your problem? My fan is okay, but I have the screen flickering issue as well. It's random totally disrupts everything that's going on until I mash ALT-Tab and stop it temporarily.

0 Kudos
dasighthound
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I took advantage of the free Win 10 offer and updated. I did use the compatibility check and it showed that everything except some of the software would work.

That was a mistake!  My screen was flashing on and off but, I didn't notice it till later. After hours of trying to sort it out " I left it for later. " Another big mistake because I waited too long to go back .

I did many searches but I searched only for the flashing problem. I wasn't able to access the control panel either. Every time i  tried to use the control panel it either froze up the computer or just closed imediately. The system seemed very slow also. Finally I looked into the control panel problem.  My search here yielded posts saying to remove a program called IDT Audio.

I removed IDT and now everything seems ok. My Cont Panel is back and working, the screen no longer flashes and my system seems to be much faster now.

Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation