Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
prakharsingh95 Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade

HP Pavilion dv6-7039TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I currently have a 1TB HDD in my laptop, but with Windows 10, my disk usage is often 100% (even after disabling a lot of stuff). I would like to upgrade to an SSD. I have a few questions that I would like your help with:

1. Is it allowed to upgrade to SSD? (I mean does the BIOS check something like hardware signatures, and would it reject a new drive?)
  2. Should I look for a particular size when searching SSDs online?
  3. Will I be able to retain my Windows license? (I can currently create a USB from Microsoft's tool and reinstall Windows. If I change hardware, will Microsoft still allow me to retain my lisence?)

I am currently looking at this SSD. Would this (and similar) work with my laptop?

Thanks and regards

Prakhar

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
71799 8674 18671
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. Disk usage 100% acually means busy. There are many causes including but not limitted to the slow HDD (only 5400RPM and 8MB cache). Faster disk such as SSD will help in this case and you can use SSD on your machine, any normal machine.
  2. Normally you can use same size with the existing HDD, or smaller (over 1TB is ok but I won't recommend this).
  3. It only has 240GB, your old HDD is 1TB, this may take more work for you in the future BUT you can reuse the 1TB HDD by using it to store files/data and only use 240GB SSD for Windows and programs. And yes you still can keep Windows key.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
prakharsingh95 Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

I forgot to clarify. I am OK with 240G. I was asking about the physical size. From what I found I need to look for 2.5" SSD. Just wanted to confirm if that's correct?
0 Kudos
prakharsingh95 Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Finally upgraded my hard drive to Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 250GB. This thing is so fast. Boots under 2 secs!

Just putting it here in case someone else has the same query.

Regards,

Prakhar Singh

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation