Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GaryRob Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Notebook dv6000 use

Microsoft Windows Vista

I have to change the internal hard drive of an HP Pavilion Entertainment Dv6000 laptop from 2007. My question is, does the new internal hard drive have to be a specific one or any I might find at the store? In other words are all laptop internal hard drives generic?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
41 2 7
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @GaryRob,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you'd like to know whether or not you would need an HP-specific hard drive for your dv6000 or if you could use a generic brand.

Theoretically, you could use a third party mass storage device but we only recommend that you use the ones designed for your system.  Being that this system is nearly 10 years old, it might prove difficult to find what your looking for as form factors, system board and internal components are continuously evolving.  That being noted, I did find a few documents that might prove helpful:

Maintenance and Service Guide specific to your model: HP Pavilion dv6000 Notebook PC.  Look at section 3.4 on mass storage devices.

HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and Recovering from Drive Failures Care and Maintenance Measures: HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives.  This deals with hard drive issues and maintenance relative to your model should you wish to keep the current drive and have it run optimally.  I understand that this particular machine is likely running Windows XP which doesn't have much in terms of support now.

Update Your Computer to Prevent Problems (Windows 7, Vista, XP): HP Notebook PCs - Update Your Computer to Prevent Problems (Windows 7, Vista, XP).  This might be an alternative in the meantime, to at least update the machine to a supported version of Windows if you haven't already done so.

You could also try to find a HP replacement drive for your unit: Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts

Hopefully this was helpful.  Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

If you find that I helped you resolve your inquiry, please return and click on the "Accepted Solution" button.  If you just want to say 'Thanks' please click on the "Thumbs Up" button.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
GaryRob Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Redviking 6 for taking the time to answer.  Thanks for the links. When I opened my laptop I saw a serial number on the hard drive ([Personal Information Removed]). I used the HP PartSurfer that you suggested but that part isn't listed. What are listed under General Prdoctu family are the following: 453775-002 250 GB SATA Hard drive 5400 rpm 2.5 in form factor 9.5 mm thick, with mounting bracket and Comply_2.03.

Does this mean this is the replacement part for the hard drive that is currently in my laptop? This is the one I should order?

Gary

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation