cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
unlnhs13
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

HP Pavilion dv2000 - Won't recognize dvd's or pc games

HP Recommended

I tried to insert a new pc game onto my laptop, and when I do so the computer starts making noises like it is recognizing something is in the drive and it makes it seem like it's going to play it, but then suddenly the noise shuts off and no dvd/game is brought up. I checked to make sure that my settings were set to play whatever I insert in the drive immediately, so that's not the problem. After trying the pc game, I inserted a DVD just to see if maybe the game was the problem, but I got the same result.

I have tried to locate the drive on my computer because on some computers I have owned you can usually go to a My Computer function and check to see when something is inserted in the computer, but I can't seem to find that option.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
ButterPancakes
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well, speak of the devil himself. I feel it to be a matter of fate, friend, as we have the same issue. I am guessing that you have the dv2910us? If so, I think I can add information to the query. I have many troubles locating the device in particular, a one LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support optical drive. However, at certain times, the drive has appeared in the device manager. I am figuring that it is merely a driver issue, and hopefully not a hardware fault. I've already posted information on this particular drive, but I've yet to receive returns. If you are somewhat adept with computers and hardware, I'd suggest that you search for the drivers to your optical drive. If not, leave it to the professionals. I shall post if I find more.
Pancakes
0 Kudos
unlnhs13
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually have the dv2415nr. You lost me with the 'LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support optical drive', but you seem to know what you're talking about. I thought I had found a good response that someone had posted on another thread that helped a lot of other people, but of course it didn't work for me.

If you found a solid solution please let me know. Thanks.

0 Kudos
NDubblek
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr and I cannot play any games on my laptop. It makes the noises, then stops.

Help please.

NDubK

0 Kudos
jokar1030
1 1 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
There seems to be a problem with the retraction springs in the HP Pavillion inside the dvd carriage. Take a look at the position of the lense and see where the lense is positoned when you load a disc. If it's all the way forward the lense is not retracting and the computer will not recognize the disc. You can fix this by manually retracting the lense yourself by placing your finger inside the cartridge and moving the lense all the way back. Reinsert the disc and it should play. Hope this helps because I looked at everything including calling HP to purchase a $149 extended warranty for something they provided a discalimer on their ability to service. Hope this helps others.
CMali
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UNLNHS13----- you said you found another post? can you still give the address tho i know it was some months ago that you found this out. here is my issue that i have had, i posted it already but maybe this thread might get some looks;) 

i am having this same issue. i tried to delete the registry for it and re install the drivers and all but keeps telling me bad registry entry for it. even before i tried to delete it. HP wants 60$ to remotely fix it for me. some how when i bought this laptop i only got a 90 day warranty? i dont know how that could be. but i can put a cd/dvd in the player and it SOUNDS like its winding up to play it but then nothing is happpening. i cant find the drive in MY COMPUTER, with or with out a disc in the drive. please someone help us on this. ive seen posts all over the internet for this but not a single reply or any insight that might help. 

thanks in advance 

CMali  

0 Kudos
CMali
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/#letmefixit

this was my fix guys. hope it works wonders for you too! 

0 Kudos
drevlojo
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thought this would be a tough/costly fix, but this saved me! Thanks!!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation