Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 11 (13,800 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook problems and i know its not a virus

Hello all I need help! :[

Right now i feel "AAAAAAAARGHHH!!!!" because my laptop has been bad since we bought it off Amazon. I've only had it for about..1-2 months (we got it in June) And i've had really bad problems -_-'''

The following events has made my hair set on fire:

Random memory dumps and no explination for it (it says something like NO INFO GIVEN or something like that)

My laptop Is so freakin' hot my legs are close to burning

It freezes On start up some times and makes me have to do a hard boot

It freezes when everything is STABLE!  I move my mouse sometimes and poof! FREEZE ALERT

It does some freaky stuff at start up That looks like CHKDSK and a boot scan but i'm not so sure...

So can anyone help? Its under the warrantyso i could get it sent off maybe but i don't really know whats wrong first :)

Heres some info:

Laptop:HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Processor:Pentium(R) DualCore CPU T4200 @ 2.00 ghz 2.00 Ghz
Memory(RAM): 4.00GB
System:32 bit Operating System

Help :/

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook problems and i know its not a virus

your first mistake is that you are using the notebook on your lap. In the manual it states not to do this. ever. It sounds like your notebook is overheating (probably by something blocking the vents) causing random issues with the system board. If it is under warrenty. service it.
View solution in context
PhD Student
Message 2 of 11 (13,867 Views)

your first mistake is that you are using the notebook on your lap. In the manual it states not to do this. ever. It sounds like your notebook is overheating (probably by something blocking the vents) causing random issues with the system board. If it is under warrenty. service it.
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Teacher
Message 3 of 11 (13,831 Views)

Run a diagnostic in the system bios....Turn on computer. Tap F10 at startup. Go over to the Diagnostic tab. Run the hard disk test then the memory test.
Specializing in Microsoft Windows.....Supporting all major OEMs including HP
Tutor
Message 4 of 11 (13,822 Views)

Read about the problems with the nvidia chip overheating. There are 10's of thousands with this issue. Hes right about your laptop not being a laptop. My 2500 just blew up and hp told me it was because I used it on my lap, Although I never did because the first time I set t on my lap it burned me.
Intern
Message 5 of 11 (13,756 Views)

The first time I set mine on my lap it did the same thing? I think it is false advertising on there signs in store that say laptop and hp on them? I think that HP logos on laptop signs have to be sigend off by HP, SO that begs the big question? Is this 100% false advertising? If the manual says dont use in your lap then why do the folks in the comercials in airports have them in there laps? why do they always have someone carrying it next to there body nowing that even used on a good surface it will overheat and when you pick it up can possibly burn your fingers? why is that in the comercial? Gangles may be right about the manual and since he does claim to work for HP, his answers are considered public info so we should all thenk him for pointing out the false advertising.
PhD Student
Message 6 of 11 (13,755 Views)

Most compaines now refer to Laptops as Notebooks or powerbooks. some 3rd party vendors still use the word laptop which they should not. This forum does it as well :/. I agree Laptops names are misleading. use a cooling pad if you want to use it on your lap

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Intern
Message 7 of 11 (13,751 Views)

Don't third party vendors have to get approvals for signs? or can they just say I am slapping your logo on my generic pc's?  nope I am pretty sure HP has to approve every sign, wait I managed a pc repair place, YEP HP must sign off on every sign and they still sign off the laptop signs.
Teacher
Message 8 of 11 (13,744 Views)

I am sorry to break your heart my friend but those series of laptops have a faulty mother board, I had my serviced right after I purchased my lappy because the mother board burned out, then I got it back and it was running fine. I then took the laptop in to best buy (not knowing about some "Enhancement" to our warranties) in Feburary of 2009 to replace the mother board again ( I have the paper work), but what gets me is that my laptop was under this Enhancement and I was not made aware if it and I had to pay Best Buy to fix it, I called to see if they would fix it again and they said to call HP for repairs, they are having problems with fixing these laptops and are being rimmed by customers because they keep failing. So in Feb 09' Best Buy replaced the MoBo because it fired out, and now some venders won't fix it. I have an old TS# (ticket service) and a receipt saying what was repaired. So now I have had my mother boarded replaced twice and now it went done in JUNE of 2009 not even 4 months after repair the same amount of time the first time it went down when I bought it. This is the third repair and HP is not going to fix it because it's out of the enhanced warranty, there is a 3 strikes and it's replaced but HP will try to run from this... keep your head up.
"HP is now my least favorite CPU company" HP Pavilion Dv6000 are lemons
PhD Student
Message 9 of 11 (13,739 Views)

I do not have the answer to that question. But good question indeed.
Signature:
Intern
Message 10 of 11 (13,739 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think it may be time we all band together on this one... To many users with the same issue...

Travis Clark : it is a dv6745us?
Sandip : Could you please elaborate the issue, I did not get you?
Travis Clark : cnf801bg1w is the serial number
Travis Clark : is it a laptop?
Travis Clark : It looks like a laptop
Travis Clark : I am not sure
Sandip : Okay, let me check.
Travis Clark : somone asked me is that your new laptop I said not sure
Sandip : Could you please provide me the product no.
Travis Clark : dv6745us??
Travis Clark : nm i see the number now
Sandip : Yes, it is a laptop.
Travis Clark : kc300ua#aba
Travis Clark : it is for sure a laptop?
Sandip : And this is a one of the best laptop you have.
Travis Clark : cool ty I was wonderng somone said it was a note book and don't use it as a laptop 

So gangles support even says they are "LAPTOPS" 

# laptop: a portable computer small enough to use in your lap
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
OK so Princeton university thinks you can use a laptop in your lap

Message Edited by cmetrav on 08-21-2009 05:29 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation