cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Captfrank
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion dv6 notebook HD replacement, need win7

HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook. It came with win7 preinstalled. I have the product key but when I goto the MS site to download it says they product key was from an OEM install so goto to OEM to get the OS. Ok HP I need the OS lol. I don’t see where I can download. The disk is not totally dead but freezes now and again. Ran HP HW diagnostics and it failed. So I replaced the disk but I need a bootable win7 to install the OS and don’t have it. How do I get it? I just need the ios image I can burn the DVD.

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BBot
Level 4
75 73 3 23
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can also create bootable USB Stick from *.iso

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool  http://wudt.codeplex.com/
Regards,

BBot

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Tom_Galenson
Level 2
30 24 1 1
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Another choice is to buy the recovery disks.  If you can't get them from HP you can try here: http://www.restoredisks.com/ They list your model but want more specific details.  I have used their product for an Acer Aspire One 722 Netbook I have and it reloaded it with exactly what i had when I got the netbook eions ago.  🙂

I did find a link to the Germany-based store front for Microsoft that still allowed downloads of the ISO's but for some reason the windows update didn't seem to work on those installs.

You maybe able to find a $25 Win7 with product code and ISO download.

I also like both Light Ubuntu and XLXE which are turnkey Ubuntu's that will run on somewhat slower machines.  They have very user friendly GUI's.  So does Zorin 9 (xp like).

If your looking for a Chromebook OS try Neverware.com  if it shows as un-supported hardware try a Chromebook look-alike called Cub-Linux.

HTH,

Tom

///
"Without [public] Data, you are just another person with an Opinion." W. Edward Demings, Data Scientist
---
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts." Senator and Professor Patrick Moynihan
---
0 Kudos
terminator
Level 9
2,360 2,354 469 756
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Captfrank
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My product key is for a pro edition will this work?

@terminator wrote:

Hi,

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 English ISO

http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_x64.iso?t=fffa9eba-5611-4295-943...

Regards

0 Kudos
BBot
Level 4
75 73 3 23
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can also create bootable USB Stick from *.iso

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool  http://wudt.codeplex.com/
Regards,

BBot

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
terminator
Level 9
2,360 2,354 469 756
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Captfrank wrote:

My product key is for a pro edition will this work?

@terminator wrote:

Hi,

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 English ISO

http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_HomePrem_SP1_English_x64.iso?t=fffa9eba-5611-4295-943...

Regards

In theory it should work if the dv6  factory has Windows 7 Home Premium English

Windows 7 Product Activation - HP Customer Support

0 Kudos
Captfrank
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This still looks like the home edition. I have the professional edition/product key.

If I burn this and run this will the professional key work? I probably don't need the few features on this machine anymore that come with processional.

0 Kudos
terminator
Level 9
2,360 2,354 469 756
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Captfrank
Author
Level 1
9 8 0 1
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Humm well I tried this and used roxio on another machine to burn it. even tested it and it looked like an image to boot/install from. Put it in the other machine/to install and said no boot disk - insert boot disk.

And yes checked the bios and is set to boot from cd/dvd first . Do you need to install dome driver for the dvd to work? How do you do that without an OS? Something in the bios?

0 Kudos
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With the dvd in the drive, power up and start tapping F9 to get the boot device list, select the cd/dvd drive, will it boot from it now?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation