cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tarique2002 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 31 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv6000 - Blank screen

Unfortunately, even I have a HP pavillion DV6 series Laptop. When the laptop warranty ,which I got when I purchased my laptop, was about to expire I called HP support to renew it but they declined citing that HP has stopped issuing warranty for DV series laptops. I knew then and there that this Laptop is a Piece of Sh...t. 

I have been using my laptop for two years and there has not been any problem except :

-> it gets heated so much I can use it as a room heater.

-> towards the end of the second year ( after purchase) the laptop would just show a black screen and become unresponsive if I used it for more than two hours at a stretch.

How I tackle this problem:

-> I purhased a Laptop cooling stand ( i got it for 100 rs in Bangalore) , it is a stand with some fans attached which definitely cool the laptop.

With this cooling stand even if I use my laptop for gaming and play for 10 Hrs straight it will not heat up and will not show the black unresponsive screen.

So, for those who have the same problem, now you know the solution. 

0 Kudos
hp_pblm_solv Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 2
Message 32 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@All dv series hp lappy owners suffering with the infamous "faulty nvidia g84, g86 graphic card problem" try this temporary fix!! Its working! atleast worked for me and few others (claimed so in some forum posts.)
DISCLAIMER: Try it at ur own risk! No guarentee that these techniques work. Sometimes laptop may be damaged also.

Read on for detail...

CAUTION: Remove HardDisk and Battery. Do not close the lid. Open it, so that screen does not get damaged. Screen should not be covered in blanket/towel. Only the air vents are to be blocked.

Blanket-heat (wrap ur laptop in a towel or blanket following above caution and turn it on!) the laptop for 1hr and then turn the power off(no more heating). Now the laptop would be pretty hot and now let it cool down all by itself.(i.e. simply do not touch ur laptop till it cools down )
Better stay beside and moniter the temperature while blanket-heating.Ur lappy will get pretty hot. Don't worry too much unless it is on flames 🙂
After cooling, fix back the hard disk press the power button and hold it for about 45 sec. Now fix back the battery also and reboot. Now shout aloud.. 'YA' ..wait for it.. 'HOO!!'. (Hopefully this temporary fix works)

Are u thinking why/what the heck (is) all this?
hp dv series nvdia g84 and g86 graphic cards have a design flaw and to add to this problem the heat sink is poor.(heat sink is a metal(mostly copper) plate pressed against graphic card and processor to take in heat and release it right before the fan so that fan takes over that heat and expells it.)
In some series of hp laptops (claimed in some discussion forums) there was only 1 heat sink for both processor and gpu , instead of having two sinks separately for each, because of the lack of space and on top of that the heat sink was also very thin.
So, graphic card sometimes gets heated to such an extent that its soldering with the mother board comes off and display goes to blank.(This could happen especially when playing computer games that use up graphic card a lot).
The above method aims at heating the laptop (using its own generated heat!!) and thereby heating the graphic card and somehow magically resolder the graphic card to its mother!! board.
Some other techniques to achieve this resoldering are:
1)Take the motherboard and remove all heat-sensitive components like plastic etc... and heat it in a home oven at some particular temperature.. REFER SOME OTHER DISCUSSIONS FORUMS FOR THE EXACT DETAIL OF THE PROCEDURE PEOPLE HAVE TRIED OUT AND ITS RESULTS .(I am not kidding.. some people tried this. But DO NOT USE THIS METHOD as it is risky and you may likely end up burning the mother board ). After heating allow it to cool all by itself and then hold the power button for 40secs.

2)
a) Take out the motherboard and identify the graphic card and flame heat it. Now put an extra metal sheet(heat sink) to improvise heat sink so as to lower the graphic card temperature and hence try to avoid the problem in the future.
FOR EXACT DETAIL OF THE PROCEDURE REFER "HP REFLOW" IN YOUTUBE AND ALSO VISIT 'HP REFLOW' WEBSITE.
The above is for FOR TECHIES ONLY.

b)FOR NON-TECHIES i.e. those who want it repaired by experts...
"hp reflow" website also takes in laptops/motherboards by courier and then repairs them and send them back. For cost detail refer 'HP REFLOW' WEBSITE.(i don't recollect exact url but link given in the youtube "HPREFLOW technique" video)

VERY IMPORTANT:
---------------------------
The BIOS dictates the way cooling fan works i.e. its speed, sleep time etc.
hp inorder to conserve battery and increase its life, made the fan rotate conservatively i.e. not at its full speed and rotate when "required" etc..
Upgrade ur BIOS to the latest version from the hp website as it ensures that the fan speed is at its maximum all the time lowering temperature of graphic card.

s2011 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 33 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an HP dv6000 series and also have a blank screen problem.  I came across this website with the deadline for filing a claim with NVIDIA:  www.nvidiasettlement.com .  Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
papatek Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 34 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does the screen go black while it is in use or when its just idling? If it is in use, most likely it is a hardware problem. Contact technical support.

I loving sharing and my personal blog is freemp4soft.com
0 Kudos
abbs Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 35 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Would someone share their reciept with me so I could submit my dv6000??  I don't have any records from that far back. 

[Personal Information Removed]

This ok? kreiss08 at gmail dot com

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
32 28 2 2
Message 36 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I want to join the list of blank screen!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
63 60 2 2
Message 37 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Finally i can say good by to the list of blank screens. After three month of screen issues and a non working webcam, i had enough and thought about to buy a new screen cable.  And that was the problem, the original cable. After i replaced it my screen and the webcam works fine now.

So  you should consider about to buy a new cable too.

0 Kudos
beatlesforsale Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 38 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this worked for me

1. shut down computer

2. Remove AC Power

3. Remove Battery

4. Press power button and hold for 30 seconds

5. Plug in AC Power

6. Boot

7. best to shut down and reinsert battery

0 Kudos
sanju5501 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 39 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I completely agree with you. I bought by DV6000 from DUBAI and after two years I found that the screen of the laptop is completely black. In the mean time I have to return to India. In India I went to HP authorized service center and they suggested me that this DV6000 having over heating problem and this causes breakdown of Mother Board. The replacement of Mother Board cost me more than Rs. 16000.00 which is little bit less then new laptop. He suggested me to never buy HP Laptops because they only good at middle class printers & Laptops.  The most disappointing part of this story is that HP did not took any responsibility in such case.

0 Kudos
ahmedg2 Tutor
Tutor
13 13 0 1
Message 40 of 61
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yea you right I done same what you did and what thay said to me when i said this HP problem they just ignored me and said this is my problem this is my fault HP not responsbele of any damge HAHA thay think there computers so powerful guess what HP all the world someday will not buy your products all my friends when they know what happend to my laptop they just bought an other marks ( Dell, Toshiba, Semiens ) yea that is right hp just ingnore us I hope to join this Facebook group to make our voices loud as we can to tell the world.....

This is a group for anyone who has faced problems with hp products specialy laptops. One defect of the Hp pavilion laptops ( DV 2000, 6000, 9000) is the motherboard problem and VGA ( graphics card ). Perhaps together we can bring this aware to HP.‎

Let's say no for HP products

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation