Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (7,315 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion dv7-4180us power problem - no ac power, no battery power

[ Edited ]

I bought my laptop in, I believe, late 2010. There is a small possibility it was late 2009, but I am inclined to think it was 2010. Anyway, my laptop recently went on the fritz.

Two days ago, I left it on while I was out on errands. It kept running much, much hotter and louder than usual, but I thought nothing of it. Hours later, I discovered that it had shut off, which is unusual as I had left a few applications open that would keep it on. I tried to turn it on, nothing. I noticed that the ac power light (near the ac jack) was red; it should be white to show that the power cord was plugged in and charging the battery. I searched a solution online: turn off computer (check) unplug ac, take out battery, hold power button down for 30 seconds, plug battery and ac back in, turn on computer. It didn't work the first time, but I did it for 60 seconds and then it worked. Everything looked fine, and it was charging properly and the battery was working again. I thought it was just one of those things that happens occasionally, no big deal.

Last night, it went out again. Ran out of power, shut down, ac power light is red, occasionally blinks white when it "recognizes that it is charging" again or whatever. Tried the procedure described above again, more than once, but no dice. I searched more solutions online. All the solutions I found involved the computer being on, such as doing a battery check. My computer WILL NOT turn on. I CAN'T do any solutions that require it to be on.

By my reckoning, it's come down to two problems. Either the battery is bad, or the ac dock thing (I'm not sure what to call it, the thing inside the computer that you plug the power cord into, maybe the "input?") is not working. I am fairly sure it is not the charger. At this point I am inclined to believe it is the ac thing inside the laptop, as I have taken out the battery and am just on ac power now, but the laptop still will not turn on. The ac power light is steadily white, no blinking, but it still won't turn on. When I press the power button, it turns on for just a moment then goes out, and the steady white of the ac light turns off for a few seconds. Then the ac light turns back on to steady white. Still no power.

I don't know for sure what is wrong. The charger, the battery, the ac input thing. I don't know. I will be visiting my computer fixit guy in a few hours, but I would like to know what is wrong before then, if possible. I really appreciate any help.

P.S. This is the battery that came with the laptop, so I wonder if it is not reaching the end of its life. Also, it's been very hot where I live as of late, and more than a few times has my computer shut down due to heat. I know this can really hurt a battery, but I don't know if it would effectively kill it, if the battery is even the problem.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-4180us power problem - no ac power, no battery power

My computer guy tells me this is a short caused by the motherboard. I am not sure why. He says the motherboard will have to be replaced.

My computer is almost three years old. It cost about $800 new. The motherboard will be about $150, "labor costs" almost another $100. So, in total, the fix would be 1/4th of the cost of laptop three years ago.

The new question is whether that is worth it, and that's not even all that is wrong. The hinge is also displaced, a problem which apparently cannot be fixed. And I had to replace my hard drive about a year ago, because apparently it was "failing." In a two year old laptop.

Thank you so much, employees of hp, for helping me with my problem. I hope my sarcasm is made clear enough. If and when I buy a new laptop, you can be sure it will not be an hp. I have had nothing but problems with every hp computer I've ever bought. I hate hp, and I say with all the power of my hatred, "Screw you."

View solution in context
Honor Student
Message 2 of 4 (7,302 Views)

I am having the same issue with my laptop please reply if you figure out what is the problem.

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (7,287 Views)

[ Edited ]

My computer guy tells me this is a short caused by the motherboard. I am not sure why. He says the motherboard will have to be replaced.

My computer is almost three years old. It cost about $800 new. The motherboard will be about $150, "labor costs" almost another $100. So, in total, the fix would be 1/4th of the cost of laptop three years ago.

The new question is whether that is worth it, and that's not even all that is wrong. The hinge is also displaced, a problem which apparently cannot be fixed. And I had to replace my hard drive about a year ago, because apparently it was "failing." In a two year old laptop.

Thank you so much, employees of hp, for helping me with my problem. I hope my sarcasm is made clear enough. If and when I buy a new laptop, you can be sure it will not be an hp. I have had nothing but problems with every hp computer I've ever bought. I hate hp, and I say with all the power of my hatred, "Screw you."

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (7,266 Views)

I just needed a new AC Charger, now my laptop works great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation