cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Pavilion dv7-6b78us with Radeon™ HD 6490M (Need New Drivers)

HP Recommended

I bought this laptop because the graphics card has the OpenCL functionality that allows Sony Vegas Pro 11 do GPU acelleration.  I discovered that I need updated drivers so I went to the AMD website and there was a newer version available, but it told me that I needed to go to my laptop manufacturer to update.  I went to HP and they said that I have the newest available, but I know this isn't true.  I verified the the graphics card model number and the Catalyst driver on the HP is an 8.x version and the newest is 11.x.  The software that I'm using requires 10.x or newer to use the feature that I need.  Is there a way to force the updated Catylist driver or do I need to return this machine?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 3
28 27 2 3
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I‘m sorry to say but HP has a terrible track record of keeping their official graphics drivers updated with the newest version released. If I were you and you can still return it for a full refund I would, as things are not likely to improve any time soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is disappointing to hear.  I am unfortunately beyond my 14 day return policy with Office Depot (another thorn in my side).  I have appealed to them for an exception, but I'm not hopeful.  What is troubling about HP is that this is a new laptop that shipped THREE GENERATIONS behind with this driver...and that they block the update from AMD.

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know this is 7 months old but were you able to update your drivers? I am having the same issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem on all 3 of our DV7's

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,909
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi barleypop:

Thank you for your post. I am glad to assist you!

I understand that you located an updated driver but are unable to install it.  Have you installed the latest bios update for your computer.  "HP Pavilion dv7-6b78us Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers"  click here. Here is a link to Downloading or "Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers"   click here. Have you tried running MS Fix it  click here to aid in this process?   I am sending you a Microsoft document on  "Solve a problem with " ATI Catalyst Control Center"  click here. If you require further assistance would you provide your operating system.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation