cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
crumpldpapr
1 1 0 0
Message 51 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv7 power adapter cable

I have loved my HP Pavillion dv7 laptop EXCEPT that it has always had this power problem. I sent it in before and they changed out the motherboard. Still had the problem. Got 2 new power adapters and still had the problem. I agree with the poster who said HP just does things that don't fix the problem so they can wait out the warranty. So now I'm left with a laptop that I have to stop and find the sweet spot for the plug then type one-handed until it charges up. I am very frustrated with this. Best Buy suggested that because I have had the laptop for 3 years that it is time for a new one. Well, I guess $1,000 just doesn't last as long as it used to. I hate this throwaway society trend. Profitable for businesses but terrible for consumers' pocketbooks and our landfills. Yes, I will go out and get a new one. No, it will NOT be a HP. I would love to join a class-action lawsuit. How do we get one of those going?

0 Kudos
quadcomputers
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 52 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your dv7 is fully upgradeable. You even have a spare hard drive bay.   As for the power cord and attach port,  find someone local who works with radios and CB's repairs; they can install a new plug for you.  Use a typical standard plug and you won't have to pay more for proprietary ones. If your repair costs will exceed $300, buy a new notebook for the same price.  

0 Kudos
LesJS57
1 1 0 0
Message 53 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My wife has had exactly the same reaction from HP staff in Australia. No-one has anyone above them until you get really mad and almost threatening.  Every HP staff member has a different reason why the "warranty" cannot operate.

My wife and myself will never look to HP again.  I have a Dell and it has worked perfectly for some 4 years now (except for the battery which is too ridiculously expensive to replace).  I have never had a problem with a small "stopgap" Toshiba that I was forced to buy while travelling and I have had warranty work carried out on this without question in a country other than the one in which it was bought (another HP excuse for a non-operative warranty - how can a "world wide" company say that its warranty can't be honoured other than in the country of purchase?)

HP and Dell both over-rated and under-performing machines.  My next one will be a "Mac" with VMware so that I can run Linux and Windows as well.

0 Kudos
Tipperspots
6 6 0 0
Message 54 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Folks,

I just inherited a dv7-3067cl that my father was going to trash with this same power supply problem, and wanted to go on the record as yet another "just out of warranty" statistic on this problem. After reading this thread, which has some really good information, I am surprised that none of HP's tech folks have weighed in on this problem.

I was a hardware engineer and power supply designer for years before the company I worked for sent my job overseas. I'll take a look at this, and post if I find anything that has not already been mentioned here. Based on the thread, it sounds like the cable fixes mentioned earlier have been the fix in many cases, so I'll start there.

0 Kudos
bvcoke1
1 1 0 0
Message 55 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well just like so many people, I spent $1000.00 to try and keep it get going a year and now all I have is noting but crued. My brother saved my harddrive but I paid good money for the Ent. pkg. I know you won't fix it but can you  suggest how I can salvage it at all for my granddaughter.  I'm not a computer wiz so I don't know where to even start. What part or parts to look for. I shouldn't have this kind of money in something that I can't even replace without spending a bunch of money for... Appreciate any and all the help I can get from anyone.. 🙂

0 Kudos
compunerd60
Level 4
143 125 1 0
Message 56 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a cool forum about HP psu's & batteries with power problems.

I have one of my client's & also a good friend's HP Pavilon dv7-1157cl which purchased a new batttery yesterday & I found out it might have been the wrong one.

The old battery would light the frt. battery light in frt. of the laptop but would flash on & off 3 times for being in a low state charge.

When I installed the new battery the light on frt. would not light at all or flash.

When I press the power button with no battery in it  the top keyboard lights & the one battery  light would light for a split second then go out. 

Now i'm thinking maybe the powersupply has gone bad & only trying to charge at the low voltage stage then goes down.

The wierd thing all I did to the laptop was replace his keyboard with a brand new one cause he spilled pop on it & the pop only went as far as between the  plastic under the keyboard area & not on the motherboard area i'm hoping.

I assume the light not illuminating withe new battery in it is cause it's the wrong battery.

Won't know till I receive the corect battery.

Have to test it first with a new psu without the battery to see if it will power back up without the new battery which I have to wait for it as well.

The old psu tested at 18.86 volts with nmy dvom metter. It's a HP 19 volt psu

Left it plugged in all night & at first it would fllash 3 times off & on & in the monin it was on steady but still powering down once I pressed the power button then had to unplug the psu & then plug it back in & the same thing happen's over & over again like it has some sort of power issue.

I very thankful for any comments on this real bad issue i'm having with it when all I did was replace the keyboard & battery for the battery would not hold a charge.

It was working fine before except the keyboard lost some of it's keyboard button functions when pressing them like the Enter key & some more after he spilled the pop on it.

Thank's!

Brent

HP Pavilion D2346C Seagate 500 gig 7200 rpm 4 gb FoxConn socket 775
Compaq Presario laptop CQ57 Windows 7 64 bit 4 gb's ram
Compaq Presario F700US Windows Vista 64 bit 2gb ram.

Being old is no fun at all!
Home based computer repair business PCTech Inc.
0 Kudos
SLM2012
1 1 0 1
Message 57 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow!  Wish I had read this thread before I bought my Pavilion dv7 five weeks ago.  Yes, FIVE weeks ago and I'm having this issue.  So sad.  It's weird, because I borrowed my neighbor's Dell adapter and was successfully charging this ol' thing when, at 50%, the same thing happened.  It looks like the Dell adapter is shot as well; anyone else have this issue???

Anyhoo, thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.  Glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat.  Here I was, thinking I was getting a great computer at a great price (especially after suffering with Dell), only to find I'm back at square one.

Tipperspots
6 6 0 0
Message 58 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Folks,

I wanted to post a follow-up message on this dv7-3067cl failure. After verifying that all voltages were within published limits on the motherboard and after applying power directly to the motherboard from a bench supply to no avail (please don't try this at home, I'm an engineer testing an out of warranty machine), I suspect this machine may have fallen victim to the video accelerator overheat failure, based on other posts.

Along with reading these posts, I suggest you "Google" your HP model number and the words "thermal or overheat failures" to see if anything applies to your machine as well. As I am writing this on a HP dv6700 I recently inherited from my son, I occasionally wonder why this is called a "laptop". More often than not, my knee blocks the ventilation slots in the lower corner of the case under the power switch on this model, causing it to overheat and leaving a red spot on my knee after a while. I also suspect the occasional Blue Screen of Death seen on this machine is related to a video driver hang up after the machine runs warm for a while. I am hopeful that things improve for HP towards quality, but I had to vote with my wallet, and get my son a new Asus laptop for Christmas.

0 Kudos
gkline
Level 4
155 128 4 19
Message 59 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From what I've seen, there are 5 typical problems with the dv7:

• Bad video card, due to overheating (this was a problem with particular nVidia and ATI cards used at the time of manufacture)
  • Bad soldering on the video card connectors (it cracks and breaks connections or shorts out)
  • Bad MOSFET chip on the  motherboard
  • Faulty power supply (fragile cord that frays internally or erodes internally, becoming incapable of charging the laptop adequately)
  • Faulty DC jack (soldering comes loose)

The video card is the worst problem to encounter, because the card is soldered onto the motherboard with about 20+ points.  You need special equipment to properly heat up the solder simultaneously and remove the card while it's still hot, then swap it out with a new one or reseating the card with fresh solder (if the soldering was the issue).  Or, you can try doing a "reflow", which means heating up the motherboard with the GPU installed (CPU removed though--important!), and allowing heat to soften up the solder and hopefully restore any broken connections.  The only trouble with reflow is that there's a good chance a cracked solder joint will crop up again later on, because the real culprit hasn't been solved (quality of the solder used).

The most common one seems to be faulty power supplies.  You would think that after a time, HP would have exhausted those inferior units and newer replacements would be fine.  I bought a spare non-HP adapter for my DV5 that has worked fine for two years.  Bottom line, 65w power supplies are anemic and you're better off with a 90w one.  Case in point, during use my 65w power supply gets very warm (almost hot), while my 90w one gets slightly warm.

Apple came up with a clever design to deal with sudden tension on the DC jack, by making the connector magnetic.  It "auto" snaps into place, and if the cord gets accidentally yanked on hard, the plug pops out without causing any harm to the jack.  HP's design is not very good.  The jack can loosen up rather easily if jarred.  And not only that, the soldering job was apparently insufficient.  This kind of fix is relatively easy to do, once the motherboard is extracted.  But in any case, hopefully HP has learned from this problem.  In all other respects, their laptops are pretty well made.  The only cosmetic gripes I have about these silver metal versions of the dv5, dv6, and dv7 is that the metal bezel for the power strip dents rather easily and the chrome trim around the unit can wear off showing a light gray plastic beneath it.  Lastly, the dv5 has poor touchpad buttons that wear out prematurely (have replaced them twice in the 4 years I've owned the laptop, which required 60% disassembly of the laptop because the touchpad is integrated with the palm bezel).

"If you keep an open mind, life will give you more possibilities."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
quadcomputers
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 60 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The very idea customers need to complain here only shows HP is not concerned about the products they sell. These problems stem from cheap hardware used to assemble these computers. Consider me and my family are no longer looking to buy from any of these big computer companies who claim they made these computers (when in fact all they do is assemble computers) they purchase cheap hardware components from Southeast Asian countries, then charge us ten times the cost. Whenever it comes time to fix a faulty part, the sent their customers here to complain; rather than fix the customers computers. The HP customer support is patheic to say the least. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BACK HERE wasting your time; then it is time to buy from another company who will back up their products.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation