cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gkline
Level 4
155 128 4 19
Message 61 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv7 power adapter cable

What you don't realize is that ALL computer companies end up making some models that suffer problems.  EVEN APPLE.  Go visit a few Mac forums and you'll see.

HP has made some mistakes along the way, but they have also created some very solid products.  I know, because I own two HP laptops now and had previously sworn off HP.  Back in the mid 1990's, I had an HP laptop that was terrible.  I was never going to buy another one, but then I found a deal in 2009 that I couldn't pass up.  I bought an HP dv5t.  It has been a terrific laptop in many respects.  I definitely got good value out of it and after putting in a hybrid drive, the performance is even better, like getting a new computer. I'll be using this one for at least a few more years to come.

"If you keep an open mind, life will give you more possibilities."
0 Kudos
jboyle034
1 1 0 0
Message 62 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am just another disguntled HP dv7 user, now an owner of an expensive laptop that can not be used due to the poor design of the power supply. Like everyone else, I paid over a $1000 dollars when I purchased my HP laptop from QVC.

I will keep this post short, but wanted to be heard, and would be interested in any class actions being filed against HP. I am also wondering where is the so called consumer protection people while all of this is going on. It doesn't appear that anyone in government is willing to step up and protect it's citizens from being ripped off by HP.

Jim

0 Kudos
Tipperspots
6 6 0 0
Message 63 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi gkline,

Yep, that HP dv5t was a good machine. I had good luck with a similar model, and I'm still using a 13 year old IBM A21 that will not die. The frustration here is from the people who have dropped hundreds of dollars on those models suffering problems and feeling like they tossed their money away. I often wonder how many tons of electronic junk would be kept out of our landfills if someone took a second look at quality. I'd gladly pay a few more dollars for that extra heatsink if it kept my device from having a premature failure.

0 Kudos
Lef_Mykonos
Level 1
4 4 1 2
Message 64 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a problem with HP Pavilion DV7 power jack...  

My laptop was not getting power. The led indicator was not working. The battery was not charging. So i decide to buy a new power jack (with cables). 

I changed the jack with the new one but the laptop had no power again.  

I bought a new charger but...  Still the same problem.  

So i tried some things that i had on my mind and ...ouaou!  

The solution is very simple!!!  

The most difficult is to open the laptop.  

You can find instructions here: http://youtu.be/MFhxzGjzUfk

All you have to do is to find the cables that goes from power jack to the mainboard and then you have to connect the red cable with the white cable !  

I used one small cable and i made a "bridge" between those cables on the adaptor that connects the power jack with the mainboard!  

Now my laptop is working and yes, it's charging!  
The two leds are on (the one at the front left corner and the one that is on the power jack).

I tested my laptop for 2 days and everything is working perfect!  
Guys, try this fix  and you will be surprised!

Kisses from Greece - Mykonos! 
Lefteris._

jakemor
1 1 0 1
Message 65 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Lef Mykonos. I used your fix on a DV7 and it worked exactly as you described. I am surprised more people haven't tried your fix. 

I joined the red and white wires together that come form the plug in socket at the molex connector that plugs into the motherboard and now not only does the computer come on but it is also charging the battery.

Like you said, the hardest part is taking it all apart inorder to reach that little connector.

For everyone else...before this fix the computer would not start (just a small flash when turned on) and of course the battery would not charge.

Best Regards,

Jake Mor

Highlighted
Lef_Mykonos
Level 1
4 4 1 2
Message 66 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am happy that you solved your problem!
0 Kudos
Lef_Mykonos
Level 1
4 4 1 2
Message 67 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a problem with HP Pavilion DV7 power jack...
My laptop was not getting power. The led indicator was not working. The battery was not charging. So i decide to buy a new power jack (with cables).
I changed the jack with the new one but the laptop had no power again.
I bought a new charger but... Still the same problem.
So i tried some things that i had on my mind and ...ouaou!

The solution is very simple!!!
The most difficult is to open the laptop.
You can find instructions here: http://youtu.be/MFhxzGjzUfk

All you have to do is to find the cables that goes from power jack to the mainboard and then you have to connect the red cable with the white cable !
I used one small cable and i made a "bridge" between those cables on the adaptor that connects the power jack with the mainboard!
Now my laptop is working and yes, it's charging!
The two leds are on (the one at the front left corner and the one that is on the power jack).
I tested my laptop for 2 days and everything is working perfect!
Guys, try this fix and you will be surprised!

Kisses from Greece - Mykonos!
Lefteris._
0 Kudos
maglib
3 2 0 0
Message 68 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The power cord is hot and and it's a fire Hazard. Mine got replaced but it took 7 phone calls.  Don't take no for an answer. This is a serious fire hazard.  New one and no more issue charging nor getting light to work.

Call 1-800-474-6836  and demand a supervisor and state the cord is very hot and swelling.  That's why it stops working. Nothing to do with the connection being an issue.

0 Kudos
richi01
2 2 0 1
Message 69 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the power supply as many other users of HP Pavilion DV7. I bought a new battery and a new power supply but the battery LED is stil blinking. That means the the battery is not loaded. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. It would be nice to get a hint how to repair it because many hp pailion dv7 users clame the have the same problem.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation