cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Colt38 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv7 power adapter cable

The power cable on my dv7, that plugs into my computer was loose from day 1.  Thinking this may have been normal, I didn't report this to HP.  Eight months later, it eventually burnt out the post that the cable plugs in to.  I didn't notice the condition of the post inside until I went and bought a new power adapter and cable, which at the time cost $60 on sale at Best Buy.  I still would not work, so I contacted HP, FEDEX'd the computer to them, just to have them say that this was not covered by warranty.  I was always led to believe that any part that was defective due to the manufacturer, was under warranty.  I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with HP standing behind their warranty.  If this is not just a remote situation, I don't see how HP could stay in business.  I know that if HP refuses to make some type of adjustment on this part, I will never purchase anything else from them.

Colt 38

0 Kudos
68 REPLIES 68
soldiers_wife Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 2 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm in a situation.  I've had nothing but problems with my HP Pavilion DV5000, within a few days of purchasing it, it completely crashed.  Best Buy replaced it, after having the new laptop for a few months I noticed it wasn't charging properly.  About a month I got frustrated because my laptop was about dead so I unplugged the adapter from my computer only to find that the little pin from the ac adapter had broke off INSIDE my computer. I took it to Best Buy being assured it would be fixed since it was still under warranty and not cost me anything, a week later they call quoting me $200.  I called HP and they said to send it to them and they'd fix it.. sent it to them and again after a week of having it they finally contacted me telling me that I am being charged $317 for the repairs and a new AC adapter and that the AC adapter is NOT covered under the limited warranty.  I ask to talk to someone else and was told they can't give out any numbers, they'd have someone contact me.  I received a call yesterday morning explaining it was my fault this happened.. and that they won't cover it and the cost was now $314.  At that time I was also informed that my hard drive needed replacing but they'd cover that.  I asked to speak to someone else and the guy told me he was the highest person to talk to (which was BS).  I hung up and called back the numbers he gave me incase we got disconnected, a woman answered this time saying they were all managers at that facility.  I explain the situation and what was wrong with my computer and she told me she "didn't care" and was extremely rude, after telling me to do what I need to she hung up on me.  I'm extremely disappointed with HP and their products, along with the Best Buy I purchased the computer from.  I definitely will never purchase another HP product again!
PhD Student
PhD Student
1,274 1,234 39 127
Message 3 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the pin breaks in the adapter it is not covered under your normal warrenty because it was an accident. Your direct fault or not. Your factory warrenty covers normal use breakdown like the harddrive.
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
0 Kudos
soldiers_wife Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 4 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As far as I'm concerned it should be covered.  I was having problems with it charging to begin with, let alone all the other problems I was having with the piece of crap.  Then on top of it the extremely POOR customer service I received.  A "manager" should not tell the customer that they don't care and hang up on them.  HP already got the $900 I paid for the computer.. they aren't getting another penny out of me.  I was told that one of the best computer companies in the world is in Chicago, IL and they'd charge $125 for the repair and a new power cord.. yet HP and Best Buy want $200-$300 that tells you something about these big companies it's only about one thing $$$.

It's OK though.  I will be filing complaints with BB Bureau, writing reports online, writing an article in my town newspaper, while I await a letter back from a congressman in my home town (who unlike HP supports our troops and their families) about my situation.  As far as I've heard anyone who has had any problem with an HP product has gotten absolutely no where with HP or if they did and the product was still under warranty it came back not working just like when they sent it in. 

0 Kudos
tocworld Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I must admit that although the computer is generally good, the power suppy connector is just a poor design and prone to damage and breakage. My connector is working fine at the moment, but the external power supply or the internal control of the power is starting to become tempermental which seems to be another complaint of the dv notebooks. I should have learned with the last HP notebook of an earlier model I had because its power connector was an even worse design and eventually failed before anything else. It is only a $1 part.

I am sure many people are having trouble with this connector and HP should stand behind or change its design. Apparently, there seems to be a reluctance on their part to make good on their poor hardware and blame the user. I have had to use lap desktop, clampling the power adapter cord to the desk to prevent any stress on the connector. An engineer I used many HP products in the lab which were superior products. Their computers are not.

0 Kudos
analog Tutor
Tutor
5 5 0 4
Message 6 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

would you do us a great favor and post a part number?  Molex or something we can get at Jameco,  not HP..

thanks - an old tube guy

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
unwrittenlife Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my hp dv7. It won't recognise the power cord and won't charge. I had it sent to hp while still under warrenty... I specifically told them and wrote it down for them, that I had already purchased two new power cords, and they would work for a period of time and then the same problem would start again.

So what did hp do? they sent it back to me doing nothing but giving me another new cord.... now it is not under warrenty and of course the problem has started again. I've been doing research and have been finding a whole bunch of people have the same problem with these laptops.

Most people in my research have also reported that the plug in is loose, and the non-hp techs I have taken my notebood to have confirmed this... It seems to me that HP knows about this problem, but instead of fixing it, they simply do a temp fix until the customers warrenty has run out!!!

Just once, I'd love to see everyone who is having these problems get together and make hp do something about it!!! I have posted this reply on several other sites and forums... if you are having the same problem reply to it so that a copy of your response is emailed to me... maybe with enough of them we can convince hp to actually fix the problem, or at very least make the problem public so people stop waisting their hard earned money!!

0 Kudos
tocworld Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP power connector and plug on the dv7 was a source of much pain and frustration. It is a poor design cannot be easily repaired. If it is repaired, it will just happen again. If it has been redesigned on newer models, great, but it won't help me. My final solution to my frustration with HP was to buy a different brand computer.

Leonard

0 Kudos
Pastort50 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same problem same result. One month out of warranty. If that was any good, Laptop stopped working, no power at all from the power plug or the battery and no help available. Just blew a lot of money Oma one year product and then left hanging. What. a way to run. Business
0 Kudos
RPCHAPIN Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 69
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll let you know how mine turns out. I have a Compaq 610 that's a friends she just bought not even two months ago and it won't charge. I fix electronics so as far I've demeed the step down transformer is shot. I have no DC out. The plug that goes into the computer appears to be "bent." I "teach" everyone never to unplug repeatly from the computer. Unplug it from the wall. Same with a television, or stereo. Her last was a dell, same thing. I bought a new AC plug from Ebay to solder on the mother board but it didn't survive. A thought is recess the adapter farther on the mother board and have an inner connect between the PC board and charging port. Most times I don't even bother with the Manufactures warranty. A new AC plug in charger is $10 shipped from else where and it has a 36 warranty. I found the same places to solder on new connectors for $125. Not intrested. But please, it bothers me to hear people rip on the place you bought it from. The computer doesn't say "Best Buy," or in my case "Tiger Direct." Both have been extreamly good to purchase from. The computer say's HP.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation