cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 21 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Pavilion dv8t-1000 CTO: treble/bass indicator keeps popping on

An update on my wonderful HP dv8t...  The hard drive just crashed today after ~ 2 months.  So now I have to mail it back and they will replace the broken hard drive.  I wanted them to upgrade it for a Solid State hard drive, but HP wouldn't let me.  I was even willing to pay them more, but they didn't want to take any more of my money!  Oh well I hope that it lasts longer than this next time.  I just wanted to let everyone know that watches this post, so they make sure to backup there files often.  Lucky I did last week.  

I also asked them to fix the problems with the treble/bass and the continuously running fan.  I hope HP's repair departement is better than their technical support via the phone.... Hopefully they will have everything fixed and returned to me soon...   I will keep everyone posted.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 12 1 1
Message 22 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Greetings all,

I sent the compuer back and detailed the litany of problems. It was returned about three weeks ago and has been running very nicely. I did not want to report back yet just in case something reappeared. Also I hope I do not jinx this by reporting back that all is ok.

The form returned with the notebook has Hard Drive (Re-imaged) checked, an added box indicating BIOS update, and Keyboard checked where the tech added "Retainer" to the Keyboard box. I suspect the latter has something to do with the trebl/bass control.

• No more noisy fan (When it does come on to cool it is very quiet.)
  • No more wild and crazy Treble/Bass popup
  • Wireless starts back up on reawakening from sleep (one of the techs had told me that the wireless was not supposed to come back on when restarted from sleep.)

Later,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 12 1 1
Message 23 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Kevin,

I hope you have the success that I did. Yeah, I agree that the phone techs are not that good. I do not think it is their fault. It is the info that they are provided with.

Later,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 24 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 25 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HT1--

Thanks for your thorough analysis of how you attacked this issue.  I'm going to focus on the FAN ALWAYS ON problem and let you know what happened to me.  The problem occurred immediately after flashing the BIOS from F.06 to F.15.

I tried as you said to disconnect the power and remove the battery for awhile.  I had already changed the BIOS' (odd) setting for "Fan Always On" to "Disabled".  That hadn't helped.  Likewise, removing the battery caused no change in behavior.

So, as you suggested, I removed the primary hard drive and booted into the BIOS, then replaced the drive and tried again.  The battery was removed, of course, when I was playing with the hard drives.  Again, there was no change in the behavior of the fan.

The I tried one last thing.  I saw that someone in another thread suggested FIRST entering the BIOS and re-setting all BIOS settings to their default values.  I did this, and then immediately changed the BIOS Fan setting back to "Disabled".  Unbelievably, everything was fine after that.  As in your case, the PC booted into the OS with no unnecessary fan activity.  The fan does speed up if the machine gets hot, which in the xb4 docking station/stand it rarely does.  (The xb4 works beautifully with the dv8t despite all evidence to the contrary from HP techs and their web site).  For the most part, it's completely quiet.

Apparently, setting the BIOS back to default values, even if you have never touched them before, allows the BIOS to truly recognize the "Disabled" setting for "Fan Always On."  This itself must be a bug in BIOS F.15, but at least this fix seems to work.  Prior to that, the PC behaved the same regardless of that BIOS setting, with the PC calming down only after falling asleep once.

A couple other notes:  The HP Advisor still does not recognize that the BIOS has been flashed.  In fact, it had a tough time recognizing that it had already applied about six huge recommended updates.  The Advisor is a great program if it works--but it gives you no real information on past or present versions (other than the BIOS), so it's hard to debug if it fails. 

HP could tighten all this up, to say the least.  But I've been thrilled with the PC, as I have my Dragon HDX 20-inch laptop.

I hope this helps someone else down the line.  I haven't had a problem with sound--in fact, it's fantastic through the xb4 docking station speakers.  But I have had problems with Bass/Treble on the Dragon in the way described in this thread.  Oddly, upgrading to Windows 7 cured a host of problems with the Dragon, even though it shipped with Vista.

Sorry for my earlier blank post.  I'm not used to this keyboard...

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 26 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks so much for your help. My dv8t is only a few weeks old and worked great until yesterday when I upgraded the bios. Then the fan ran fast, noisily, always. VERY annoying, even though it was on a tray which elevated the base to prevent overheating. I disabled the 'fan always on' setting in the bios to no avail. Changing power settings in the Control Panel also did not help. However, resetting the bios to default (F9), then resetting the 'fan always on' to disabled, cured the problem. The computer nows works as it did when delivered - a quiet fan. Also the advisor still recommends five upgrades including the bios upgrade, even though I performed these upgrades twice. It is not accurate at all. I'm sure it will remind me to perform them again in a week. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 27 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yep, I had the treble problem too but I turned it off through "system configuration"... all was well (for the most part) and then that HP Support Assistant came up with a bunch of recommended updates and I naively thought, "Hey, maybe they fixed it!".  Oh brother... it updated the bios and now I have the fan problem too.  What really burns me is that someone in HP's product engineering group knows exactly what the problem is and this bios update has been known for months to cause this effect so for them to push it through their auto update system would either mean they are off-their-rocker or it was done by design... probably to avoid a bigger problem. It's going back for repair!  Well, at least the brake pedal works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 28 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sid, I'm not sure I understand.  You're not shipping it back to fix the fan problem, are you?  If first setting the BIOS to its defaults as noted above doesn't work for you, it's worth it for the group to know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 29 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I learned how to fix the fan always on problem:  

Shut down the computer and turn it back on.  From the get go start pressing Escape to pause it.  It will take you to a startup menu and when you get there press F10 for BIOS setup.  Use the right arrow to take you to System Configuration.  Use the down arrow to take you to Fan Always On.  If your fan is always on, It should say enabled to the right.  Press F5 - NOT F6 - to disable it.  (if you press F6 it will say Disabled but it will not be disabled).  Use the up arrow to highlight System Configuration and then press F10 to save and exit.  Select Yes to save and exit.  You should be good to go.  

Good luck everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 30 of 160
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I solved this with applying a Microsoft Windows update optional patch:

Hewlett - Packard Development Company, L.P. - HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor

I have a DV8T-1000 purchased in December 2009, So far no other side effects have popped up.  I do not have the Fan problem or any others.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation