cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Steve_Kohn
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Pavilion dv9700, Vista, cannot install latest version of some applications

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv9700
Microsoft Windows Vista

Bought the machine at a community yard sale this past weekend. It wouldn't power on in the parking lot, but was told it worked fine last time it was on. What can I say, the 17" screen called to me.

But at home it never booted into Windows. Always came up to the White Screen of Death. Which I eventually fixed, and then spent all day removing junk applications in Programs and Features.  Also cleaned up Services. Removed old user accounts. Then started installing a few programs.

Two would not install: VLC and Foxit Reader. The install process wouldn't even begin.

I copied the downloaded file to a thumb drive and tried installing it on my Win 7 computer ... and saw the install begin perfectly. So it wasn't the file, it was Vista.

My short term solution is finding an older version of VLC and Foxit Reader. Yes, they install perfectly.

But what's the real solution? How do I fix Vista?

I thought about slogging through the Recovery (D: drive) procedure, but as I understand it, that will format the hard drive. Don't want to do that, for obvious reasons, not the least is that the laptop came with Office 2007.

Any advice you might have would be appreciated. 

And if you can tell me why VLC and FR wouldn't install, even though their MFR says they should be able to, I'd appreciate the information. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
29,324 29,234 2,670 6,447
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Steve_Kohn

There's really no way that, today, you can "fix Vista"   MS doesn't support it actively anymore -- you can't even buy a copy from them!

MS doesn't even support upgrading to Win10 from Vista; the oldest OS they support for an upgrade is win7.

You really need to think seriously about replacing Vista with something newer.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Steve_Kohn
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"You really need to think seriously about replacing Vista with something newer."

No argument, of course. But for what the laptop will be used for, mostly my wife watching Youtube videos and checking email/news, Vista is plenty good enough.

Plus it means not having to spend a hundred bucks for Win 7, if that's even possible. And more bucks for Office.

No, Vista is good enough. Heck, XP would be good enough.

---------

And still looking for input on why VLC and Foxit Reader wouldn't install, while older versions would, even if the latest versions are rated for Vista.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation