Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
stuart955 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion g6-2399sa : Processor upgrade?

HP Pavilion g6-2399sa Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just wondering if it's possible to bung a new processor in my laptop and if so, which ones are possible?

I'm having a laptop upgrade spree 

In fact I might as well go all out and ask what the deal is with sticking a new motherboard in there. Not even sure if it's possible but no harm in asking.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
23557 3292 7778
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@stuart955

What processor do you have installed now???

REO

*****************Click the Blue thumb to say thanks*****************
******Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem******
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
****************No stinking badges only SOLUTIONS!!!****************
0 Kudos
stuart955 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply - turns out all my notification emails from HP forum end up in my spam inbox!

According to my device manage, the processor is an "AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics"

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
23557 3292 7778
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem @stuart955

Sorry to say but you have the best CPU already installed.

Your manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593126

CPU's you could use.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/A10-Series_for_Notebooks/A10-4600M.html

REO

*****************Click the Blue thumb to say thanks*****************
******Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem******
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
****************No stinking badges only SOLUTIONS!!!****************
0 Kudos
stuart955 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Heh, even better! 

That'll explain why my laptop appears to cost the same now as it did 5 years ago when I bought it.

Also... does this bring Moore's Law into question?

Or is there some other limiting factor preventing me from upgrading this laptop in any way? Is it simply impossible to mix and match parts, e.g. find a whole new improved motherboard to fit in the case?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37082 5596 9648
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well Moore's law has finally stopped explaining current computer technology. The number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits has stopped doubling every year in recent history. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601441/moores-law-is-dead-now-what/

Desktops use industry standard form factor parts....so I can take a 10 year old computer case and put a current motherboard in it and the current motherboard will support a current processor and memory. 

Laptops, on the other hand, are "one-off". The motherboard and chassis are a custom design so the only motherboards that will fit in your laptop are the ones designed and made for your model at the time it was a new model. So if you have the top end of what was made for your model there is no upgrade. You could perhaps increase the memory if you are below the max and let's not belittle what a solid state drive can do. It can make an old laptop run with the big dogs again. The single most impactful upgrade one can do to a laptop is to go from an old-school mechanical spinner drive to an SSD. Night and day. 

Hope that explains and helps. 

0 Kudos
stuart955 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Got it, that makes sense, cheers.

Already shifted to SSD a few weeks ago. The improvement is very much noticeable!!

Interesting article too :robothappy:

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation