Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion g6 laptop: Logs on to temporary desktop

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion g6 (product no.A3S74EA#BU)

Windows 7

Why does my laptop log me in to a temporary desktop rather than my personal one? I have logged off and logged back on, turned off and on and run a virus scan but every time it logs me on to this temporary desktop. This means I cannot access any of my personal files.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,249 41,497 4,529 11,908
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What do you mean by a temporary desktop? I can't say that I have ever seen that. Can you post in your thread that shows us what you ae describing?

Which Inernet protection solution are you using?  I prefer, in order of preference, ESET,  Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials (as a great freebie). 

Are you not able to select the account with your user name?

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread #Don'tBeAntisocialWearAMask
#PracticeSocialDistancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant temporary profile. I've sorted it now, though. Booted the computer up in Safe Mode and did a System Restore and it fixed it. Apparently there was a critical update?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK. That makes more sense to me than temporary desktop.

Glad to hear you sorted it out yourself.

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Atkotime,
My laptop has the exact same problem as yours. Can you tell me how to boot the laptop to Safe Mode and fix the problem? I really need your help. Thank you very much!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After you press the power button, start tapping the F8 key to enter Safe Mode.

In Safe mode type system restore in the Search programs and files box and press enter to invoke the system restore window.

Choose a restore point before the problem began and begin the system restore. 

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just booted it up this morning - and once again it has logged in to a temporary profile. Just about to get it going via Safe Mode again but there must be something deeper at fault here. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It could be malware. What are you using for an internet protection suite? I use ESET, Norton and Windows Defender on a Windows 8 installation I have.

When you get it running this time , consider runnning the system file checker to see if it helps.

Fixing this issue can be quite involved and akin to rebuilding your OS from the inside out. If you become to frustrated with it, you may choose to save your data externally, find all of your program disks and activation keys and do a factory image recovery.

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm using Norton at the moment. What is the system file checker and where will I find it? Sorry for my amateur-ness!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I've run the SFC via the command prompt window. No luck. No integrity violations apparently. I have only run the system restore off one restore point so far. Is it worth running this off an earlier date? What do I risk losing?
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation