Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
marcP1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion g7 left hand hinge failure

Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Like others I now have a problem with the LH hinge.  sticking and opening up the casing.  What can HP do to help me fix this problem.  it is out of warrantee but appears to be a manufacturing fault because there are a large number of these incidents being recorded so therefore HP should provide some help.  as a manufacturing fault i wodl expect this to be fixed by HP and not for me to take my laptop apart and attempt a repair.  any cost involved with using an HP repair centre i woudl expect tp be covered by HP.  this is not an age problem as this laptop is not that old and neither are many others that have been reported.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
233 17 60
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, contact HP and check if there is a recall for this unit. If there is then unit will be repaired without any cost , if not I'm sorry

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#HPExpertDay
There is a lot of testing done on all the hinges used on the product. Hinges are physical/mechanical part and normally users use left hand to open the notbook and the pressure is exerted on left hinges and sometimes to tilt the screen users hold the hinge portion of screen to tilt which results in damage. Unfortunatly the hinge is not a user replaceable part as the computer needs to be taken apart to fix the hinge and screen, so you need to call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
marcP1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting.  I am fully ambidextrous but in general always open and shut screens using the middle of the screen, as recommended to me.  i also have an Elite 8770w laptop that is older and has no problem with hinges even though it gets a lot more use than the Pavilion.  I understand testing can only be limited in devloping a product but still consider this a weakness of the design, otherwise why are there so many hinge faults being logged on the web.  there are numerous videos on youtube showing how to dismantle a Pavilion and get to the hinge and all well within my own capabilities.  as it is outside the warrantee i will consider this route if necessary.

a previous message suggested checking for a recall for this unit, can you confirm there is no such recall message, thanks

0 Kudos
Whipy Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Expert? Yes, expert in misguiding people.....

Caused by using left hand to open the case? You have to be kidding. There are a TON of the exact same complaint and it is an obvious design flaw. The hinges get too tight. The case plastic is weak by the left hinge. The pressure of the tight hinge breaks the mounting points inside the case and rips the hinge through the case.

There are a lot of messages from HP moderators saying they will get back to people about this issue but all they seem to have offered victims is a small discount on the repair cost.

Not user repairable? well that's not true either. User repair would only void a warranty but since they are always breaking when out of warranty anyways why would anyone care. User repair is a last-ditch move before trashing the computer and buying a different brand. I've purchased dozens of laptops over the years (mostly Toshiba/HP) and have NEVER had one do what has happened to my G7.

There are several You-Tube videos that show in detail how to take the unit apart, and even run long screws through the case to try and repair it. But nothing I have found (yet) that shows how to loosen the hinges so that the root cause goes away (preventive). The least HP could do would be to post how to loosen the hinges, to prevent even more users having their case break.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation