Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bk193ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible laptop (15-bk193ms).

I very quickly found an issue with it. This seems to be a common problem with 360 laptops on the internet, and I tried from previous posts, but none of them seem to work.

This is that whenever I turn on my laptop, the keyboard is completely disabled, as if I have the laptop flipped over like a tablet, even if it's not. For the first little while I would find that it would fix itself suddenly, but that slowly stopped happening and now it is stuck this way. It seems to be a software problem, not a hardware one.

I have not made any hardware changes since the purchase of my device. None of the software I have installed should affect the keyboard.

The issue seemed to have first appeared within a week of purchasing my device, around 3-5 weeks ago.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem??

Thanks in advance 🙂

The solutions I have already tried are as follows:

http://academic.bancey.com/hp-spectre-x360-keyboard-turning-off-problem-solved/

Tilting my laptop towards me had no effect whatsoever.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hp-pavilion-13-x36-keyboard-st...

Filter keys is disabled, yet the issue is still present.

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-41167-hp-laptop-keyboard-suddenly-stop-working

Removing my battery would involve unscrewing the base of my laptop, so I would rather not do that, especially considering that may only be a temporary solution.

As well, this page speaks of an HP BIOS update, but the link is dead. Is there anyway I could find that or a similar patch?

This seems to be a common issue with HP 360 convertible laptops, so I am hoping one of you knows how to fix it 🙂

This issue could also be described as:

HP 360 laptop keyboard stopped working

HP 360 laptop keyboard stops intermittently

HP 360 laptop keyboard turning off

HP 360 laptop keyboard stuck in tablet mode

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Community!

Here are some links that might help:

HP x360 Notebook PCs - Enabling or disabling the keyboard 

How to Fix a Laptop Keyboard When It’s Locked 

HP Wireless Button Driver (Windows 10 v1803)

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @kelvinkellner, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have keyboard issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with an external keyboard? Does the issue persist?

As you mentioned the keyboard gets disabled when your turn on your PC.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try the steps recommended below.

If your keyboard is not working:
Turn off the computer and then restart it.
Press the Esc key repeatedly to see if a startup menu opens.
If a setup menu does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. The integrated keyboard in the notebook should be serviced or replaced. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB-wired keyboard to a USB port and restart the computer.
If a setup menu opens, use the arrow keys to navigate the menus. If these keys are working in the startup menu, but then fail when Windows loads, the problems might be related to the keyboard software.
Restart the computer.
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.
The keyboard should now work correctly. To test the keyboard for key or hardware failures, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8).

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your laptop.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

Hey there! @kelvinkellner, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have keyboard issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with an external keyboard? Does the issue persist?

As you mentioned the keyboard gets disabled when your turn on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below.

If your keyboard is not working:
Turn off the computer and then restart it.
Press the Esc key repeatedly to see if a startup menu opens.
If a setup menu does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. The integrated keyboard in the notebook should be serviced or replaced. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB-wired keyboard to a USB port and restart the computer.
If a setup menu opens, use the arrow keys to navigate the menus. If these keys are working in the startup menu, but then fail when Windows loads, the problems might be related to the keyboard software.
Restart the computer.
In Device Manager, uninstall and reinstall the keyboard software:
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
Click View and select Show Hidden Devices.
Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard device name, then select Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.
Continue removing device names in the Keyboards category until all device names have been uninstalled.
Restart the notebook. Right-click Start (), select Shut down or sign out, then select Restart.
Wait for the computer to restart and open Windows.
The keyboard should now work correctly. To test the keyboard for key or hardware failures, see Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8).

Refer this article to further troubleshoot keyboard issues with your laptop.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Let me know if this works!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I have not made any hardware changes since I have purchased my device. I have installed software, however none of them should have an impact on the keyboard, and they are all trusted applications.

Yes, I have tried using a wireless USB keyboard which works completely fine.

I tried booting up into the setup menu, and the keyboard worksperfectly fine then.

I uninstalled all the keyboards from Device Manager, upon booting up the issue persists.

I also ran the component hardware test for both the keyboard and tocuhpad, the one that appears when pressing f2 when booing up. They showed no errors, and the keyboard and touchpad were working fine.

I find it quite strange that the keyboard and touchpad work fine in the BIOS menus, but as soon as I boot up, they quit. It seems like nothing I have tried has had any impact. It almost certainly is either a hardware issue with the sensors that detect the angle of the hinges, or a software issue related to when the laptop should d shouldn't disable the keyboard.

Is there anything else you would recommend trying?

HP Recommended

@kelvinkellner, Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned the keyboard works fine in BIOS.

Try updating the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Please find the link to update Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver.

If the issue still persists after updating the driver, try performing a complete system recovery on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing system recovery on your PC.

Let me know if this helps!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Edit: The keyboard seems to have magically fixed itself for now, sooooo I will enjoy this while I have it. If the issue occurs once again, I will certainly be back to try your suggestions.

Until then,

Thank you 🙂

- Kelvin kellner

HP Recommended

Well.... it's back again.

As soon as I put my laptop in and out of sleep mode, the problem came back.

I'll try your suggestions and get back to you 🙂

HP Recommended

@kelvinkellner, It's great to hear from you again.

As you mentioned the issue persists when you put the laptop in sleep mode.

Try the steps suggested in my previous thread and check if it helps.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i have the exact same problem ie it behaves as if the tablet mode is on even if its not, the keyboard and touchpad does not work. i am using hp pavilion 360 convertible. i have tried all these three things ie uninstaling keyboard driver many times, updating intel intregated driver and at last full system recovery. but at the end the problem reappeared. what to do next ??

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Community!

Here are some links that might help:

HP x360 Notebook PCs - Enabling or disabling the keyboard 

How to Fix a Laptop Keyboard When It’s Locked 

HP Wireless Button Driver (Windows 10 v1803)

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.