cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cheshire567
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

HP Pavillion DV6000

HP Recommended
My laptop has suddenly started having screen problems, the screen is constantly flickering but worse still its like a 1960's psychodelic (sp) effect which is making my eyes hurt!  Not sure whether its caused by a virus/driver or something else, as a PC novice I have not got a clue where to start - can anyone help - please!!!
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,335 44,112 7,090 12,528
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Give us the exact model number from the bottom of the laptop but I fear you are a victim of the nVidia video chip issues that have plagued that series. There may be free help available, depending on your exact model number.

0 Kudos
Retarded_Hardon
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Call HP.  There is what's called service enhancement notice.  If you call technical support they'll be able to tell you if your notebook is supported.  If it is, then it can be sent in for service and repaired free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

0 Kudos
Striper
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Guyzi have a terrible problem. I'm using my hp pavilion dv 6000 not more than 8 months, suddenly 2 light black/grey spots showed on my screen. I connected to another monitor and it showed no problem. I was reading at some forums for dead pixels but it seemed that they are not dead pixels. Can somebody please help if its necessary i will send pictures from the spots. Thanks Guyz
0 Kudos
Lucian
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you know if the dv2000 series has also been "plagued" by the same nVidia video chip? I have a dv2415nr model (I hope this is the exact model number from the bottom of the laptop, you were talking about) and the flickering image is the latest and most critical problem I'm currently facing.

The laptop was purchased 2 years ago in the US, so bye-bye warranty...and starting last week, it's been acting weird. At first it wouldn't start the first time, just the second of the 3rd, like it didn't find the OS on the drive, but today it started having display problems. It barely starts, runs fine for 5 mins, and then the image starts flickering.

I've been told that the battery might be the problem, and at first I thought that too, since the battery only lasts for 15-30 mins, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the dispaly problems...it doesn't sound too logical, does it?

Now I wouldn't want to purchase a new battery if the existing one is not causing the flickering image problem, so I'd like to know if there is a well-known explanation for that or if it's not so common.

If the video chip is the problem, can the local HP dealership fix it or can any other HP service partner do it? The thing is it takes forever for the HP dealership to look at any problem, and I can't afford spending 1-2 months without the laptop.

Thanks for answering,

Lucian

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
44,335 44,112 7,090 12,528
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lucian you should start your own thread but yes the dv24xx series is part of the plague. if your model has the AMD processor you are likely but not 100% sure to be covered. The other issue is the timing. It is an enhanced warranty and I think the time limit may be 24 months total warranty coverage.

Here is the link that tells you whether it was ever covered at all:

Enhanced Service List

Beyond what is definitively written there I have seen a lot of conflicting info here and all I can tell you is to call HP.

If it is not covered post back. I do not want to get into a huge political debate about whether it should be covered or should HP fix it; that is beyond my poor powers to influence. But I can give you some ideas of how to have it fixed for the lowest possible cost. Of course your first shot is the warranty service because nobody can compete with zero for a price. Do understand they will replace it with a like motherboard with the same chip but it should provide another 18 to 24 months of life and by then you will want to get a new one anyway.

By the way tio see if the battery is the problem remove it and run the laptop from "mains" as the Brits say. If it does not flicker on AC power it just might be the battery. The only fix for the mobo/video chip problem is a new mobo and they send it to Texas and it takes about 2 weeks if that is your problem and if it is covered.

Message Edited by Huffer on 04-13-2009 06:27 PM

0 Kudos
Lucian
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer, for the advice.

Unfortunately, now the laptop is stone-cold dead. It doesn't even start anymore. The link you gave me is not helping me, because I am not living in North America, which is the only area covered by that extended warranty. I also contacted the HP local office, they told me that this model, 2415nr had been made EXCLUSIVELY for the North American market, so the HP service in Europe WILL NOT fix it, not even outside the warranty.

How the hell is this possible? It takes 2 days to change the steering wheel of a British car from the right side to the left side, if you feel like it, but HP can't fix an HP laptop because it was not made for Eruope ?!?

Should I contact Dell, Sony, Acer or other companies, maybe they will know how to fix an HP laptop? I am truly dissapointed...not to mention the fact that the HP office told me they have just 1 partner in my country that will TRY to fix my laptop, and these guys said it will cost me 25 euros JUST for a diagnosis....let me guess, so that they can tell me thay can't import the parts and fix the problem, because it was not made in Europe?

I'm sure no one at HP cares about my laptop, especially since I'm not from North America (apparently the only side of the world that metters to them), but I'm sorry to say that I will buy a new laptop made by some other company, ANY other company, actually, despite the fact that I really really liked my HP laptop.

Good job HP, another happy customer.... 😞

PS: I tried removing the battery...and running it for the mains...it made no difference...not when the image was flickering, not now when the thing is dead...

0 Kudos
chumway
Level 2
42 26 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I feel bad for you but HP has a clever saying now when you send your laptop, they'll tell you that you spilled something and there is liquid on the motherboard.

<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-02-2009 08:12 AM
0 Kudos
Lucian
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Neeeah, I'm sure they won't say that. I just found out (from a Dell authorized partner :generic: ) that the CPU is dead...so they'll say I spilled something on the CPU directly :)))))))))
0 Kudos
james189
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
our dv6000 has been in use just less than a year and we have had the blue screen of death twice in a matter of days can anyone help me !?!?!?!?!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation