Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 12 (584 Views)

HP Pocket Media Drive - Diagnostic Error code: HD535-5W

Good morning!

Years ago (around 2009) I purchased an HP Pocket Media Drive 3200s / 320GB that was designed to go into the expansion bay in the computer I owned at the time. I remember having issues with it at that time, with slow loading, freezing etc. I went back to the Staples store that I purchased it from and asked about it. It has been so long, I can't recall what was said, but I had brought it back home and put in on the shelf and forgot about it. Me, being me, if it was correctable, I would have worked at it at the time.

Presently, I own a different computer;

HP Pavilion a4310f

Product Number AY014AA-ABL

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

My Pocket Media Drive is;

HP Pocket Media Drive PD0000 (on the bottom/back)

Model No PD3200s

Part No FJ460AA

320GB

I went on the HP Support site and after searching thoroughly and for a long time I finally discovered one original program that was apparently pre-installed on that particular drive. HPSureStore. I finally found the updated version that works with my OS and installed it. Everything seemed to be working fine. It is plugged into two USB ports in the front of my tower. I planned on working on the drive and setting it up to store  backups of all of my files.

The monthly HP (PC Doctor) Hardware diagnostic program ran last night and there were errors for the Pocket Media Drive;

WDC WD32 00BEVT-60ZCT0 USB Device

Model Number: WDC WD3200BEVT-60ZCT0

Total Capacity: 298.09 GB

HP Pocket Media Drive - J:

File System: NTFS

Volume Serial Number: B4DD-FC9B

Volume Capacity: 298.08 GB

Volume Free Space: 297.92 GB

Volume Used Space: 161.79 MB

Random Seek Test
Test Started 15/02/2015 8:58:39 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 77203540. 15/02/2015 8:58:52 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 294989519. 15/02/2015 8:58:58 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 176461810. 15/02/2015 8:59:06 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 558705613. 15/02/2015 8:59:13 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 247221468. 15/02/2015 8:59:20 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 317782103. 15/02/2015 8:59:26 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 165057960. 15/02/2015 8:59:32 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 196886280. 15/02/2015 8:59:39 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 607033493. 15/02/2015 8:59:45 AM
Error Message: There was an error reading sector 385607435. 15/02/2015 8:59:51 AM
Error Message: Maximum errors of 10 exceeded. Canceling test. 15/02/2015 8:59:51 AM
Test Finished: Failed (Error code: HD535-5W) 15/02/2015 8:59:51 AM

There was another test performed at that time with an error code of HD535-3W. I think it was under a surface scan test. I am searching for the details now.

I would really like to be able to use this device as it did cost me quite a bit at the time I bought it. $200 +. Any help I receive would be greatly appreciated. Andf if I could get ALL of the original software that was pre-installed I would like to obtain it and re-install it so I have a fresh start.

Amateur computer geek, professional at using Google Search! LOL
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 12 (574 Views)

Re: HP Pocket Media Drive - Diagnostic Error code: HD535-5W

The pocket media drive itself is bad. Replacements are virtually non-existent in the marketplace because it is a device that never caught hold. The few I found cost more than a new computer and I do not believe they can do anything a plain old hard drive cannot do. Here is the Manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859455

You could install something like this in its place and use a 2.5 inch and/or 3.5 inch drive which you can hot swap in and out.

http://www.storagereview.com/icy_dock_duoswap_sata_hot_swap_drive_caddy_review_mb971spb

Top Student
Message 3 of 12 (559 Views)

Good morning Huffer and thank you for the very speedy response!

I suspected that was the problem back when I bought it. However, at the Staples store where I tried to return it, the "associate" told me they couldn't take it back. However, he did say he would purchase it from me for half the price???? THAT I do remember.

I ALWAYS promote HP products to anybody that will listen. I swear by them.  I work on peoples' computers in the area all of the time and HP stands far above the rest as far as reliability. In my opinion anyways :) I am still an "amateur" compared to many, but I do research everything in order to help other people (mostly seniors).  If one looks at my list of HP products I have registered, they will see that I have purchased quite a few from Hewlett Packard. But this time I am supremely disappointed.

The Staples store that sold me the Pocket Drive has since closed down. They should have, and probably were obligated to allow me to return it, or at least send it away to be looked at. But they didn't. Now I am stuck with a faulty pocket drive and am out $200+ that doesn't come by easily for me.

Anyways... thank you very much for the information, I sincerely appreciate it.

Tutor
Message 4 of 12 (519 Views)

I'm sorta in the same boat as the originator. I also have the HP Pocket Media Drive but I reformatted it and now it only has 31GB rather than the original 500GB capacity. Anything  can do to get back to NTFS and 500GB?

Thx,

Ken

Provost
Message 5 of 12 (514 Views)

You must have formatted it FAT32. Just click on it and select format again and this time on the pull-down menu choose ntfs. 

Tutor
Message 6 of 12 (505 Views)

Nope. Still 32GB when there should be 500GB. There must be some partitioning going on?

I don't want to hijack this persons post any further so will need to open another ticket.

Tutor
Message 7 of 12 (500 Views)

Hi Darla!

At least there are two of us using the HP Pocket Media Drive. 

Well now maybe one....

I bought a 3 terrabyte USB external drive for less that $100 so maybe that's an option for you?

Sorry, didn't mean to take over your post. I googled my HP problem and found this thread.

I guess I'll round file my drive and not worry about it.

Top Student
Message 8 of 12 (491 Views)

No worries Seattle!!!

My trouble is NOT solved, so leaving your question here is fine by me. It may attract somebody that may offer some information on how to get around some issues and errors if HP aren't/can't replace my PMD. By the looks of it there were a few issues with these products. I am determined to try to utilize mine if I can figure out how to partition out the bad spots (if at all possible) Who knows, maybe I will be able to use it somehow.

HP generously offered me an extended warranty on the HP printer I recently bought as a "good will gesture". Thing is, the printer cost $19.99 U.S. so it isn't really worth having a warranty at all LOL. They subsequently offered an extended warranty on any other HP product I have that may be still under warranty.

I am unable to prove that the issues began during the warranty period so obviously, and understandably, they are unable to replace or even offer to repair it or compensate me the purchase price.

I will keep my eyes open for the guy from the Staples store which is now defunct and have a conversation with him again as I am capable of managing things now unlike that last number of years :)

So do please stay on this thread, and I will be keeping an eye out for any solutions that may help me as well :) Hope you get your troubles solved :)

Provost
Message 9 of 12 (484 Views)

OK you need to do a bit more than format. My bad. Format will just blank out a partition already created but will not kill the partition. You need to kill the 32 gig partition and you do that with disk management. Go to "My Computer" or "Computer" or "This PC" depending on Windows version and right click. Select manage and then the disk management utility. It will show every drive in the computer in a linear graphic format. Look for the pocket media drive and right click on it to delete any existing partitions. Then make a new simple volume in the blank drive and choose to make it ntfs. This should format it to one continuous partition for its whole capacity. You may also have to select "assign drive letter" to "mount" it and make it able to receive and store data. Given the history of the PMD I would also run a long form disk test on it before writing anything important to it. Frankly I would abandon it and just go with a modern hard drive as suggested above, but if you must use it that is how. 

Tutor
Message 10 of 12 (468 Views)

That did it Huffer. Although I didn't get a full 500GB it is close enough. Seems that it is arund 31GB short. Interesting. 

As for using the PMD, I really don't use it that much and do my backups on the WD 3TB USB drive. I may attach the PMD to my router USB port for access by other devices on my home network. A mini internal cloud.

Thanks Huffer! Appreciate the efforts you gave. Tell your boss to give you a raise!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation