Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've updated my HP ProBook 4510s to Windows 8 and it works great, except for the fact that I get no sound through the speakers or via the audio jack and the built in MIC does not work (no bars for sound when looking in the sound tool looking at recording devices).

I've tried with both muted and unmuted, in case that was toggled.  When I click the volume slider (on the desktop in the bottom right corner), the green bar raises and lowers as if it is playing a sound, but nothing is heard. 

In device manager, the device is shown as loaded and functioning and I've check the audio service, end-point builder and MM scheduler are running.

I've updated the drivers to those ont he Microsoft Windows Update site and the HP Windows 7 drivers.  I've tried 2 fresh installs as well as an upgrade from a working Windows 7 install.  None of them work.

So, the laptops thinks all is fine, but it is not.

Any advice on how to get the sound working? It works in Windows 7 and does not come up as a blocker when upgrading.

The product code is VQ721EA#ABU.  The Model is P4510sUT4300Q5X 160NAB NCN22Xa.

Thanks

Davud

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is very odd...

I have the Elitebook 6930p and it has the same ADI audio chip and it works 98% fine with W8.

The only thing that doesn't work is I have checked the box to play the W8 startup sound and it will not on a cold boot, but does on a warm boot (restart).

Other than that, the audio works perfectly.

I used the W7 Pro audio driver from the support and driver page which is the same version as yours in an effort to fix the no W8 startup sound on cold boot, but it didn't help.

You will find that the W7 driver from our support and driver page is actually a newer version than the one W8 installs.

My only other suggestion to you would be to install the latest chipset driver and see if that makes a difference.

First download is what you want.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3045&DwnldID=20775&keyword=Chipset+sof...

HP Recommended

I tried updating the intel drivers with the link you sent and the result was very bad as it updated the SATA drivers and the system then failed to boot and was in a loop to constantly repair itself.  I'm now recovering to a system restore point.

Any other suggestions welcome.

HP Recommended

Sorry that driver blew up your PC.

Never had that happen before!

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions you can try.

As I wrote above, I don't understand why my PC has the exact audio chip, and the exact driver, and it works.

Even after W8 first installed, the audio worked fine except for that one minor glitch.

HP Recommended
Paul, it is not your problem that the driver blew up, so please do not worry. The strange thing is that sound worked in the Consumer Preview of Windows 8, WIndows 7 etc, just not the RTM version.

Thanks for trying
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is also very odd that it worked on the preview and not on the RTM version.

I am baffled...

Perhaps you can try installing W8 again in a few months.

Maybe they will have released some updates by then to fix some of these bugs.

Did the quick launch buttons driver install on your PC by windows 8?

If not, try the W7 QLB driver. Maybe that has something to do with the audio not working.

HP Recommended

I've already spoken to Microsoft (I worked for them until December) and they were baffled by it too.  I need to know if HP will do anything to support this laptop, but my hopes are not high.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, HP will definitely not be supporting the 4510s for W7.

They will not be releasing any drivers for any PC purchased prior to 10/1/11.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows-8/about-upgrading.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0005

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just go on device manager an disable the driver that comes with windows 8. Normaly you have a driver that has been installed when installing windows 8. But when you have update your driver these driver came into conflict. Just uninstall the driver HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE under the heading Sound,Video and game controllers. You will b ok 😉

HP Recommended

Hallo

Was the problem solved?
My PC is also the same.
Is there alternative Driver for Windows8?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.