Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. Can i upgrade my cpu(i3-4000m ) on HP ProBook 650 G1 (D9S33AV) HM87 chipset with this CPU I7-4700MQ 47W TDP?

In Bios Version:01.22 A is added support for the Intel I7-4800QM  processor ( MQ I think ).

In HP ProBook 640 G1, 645 G1, 650 G1, and 655 G1 Notebook PCs - Maintenance and Service Guide Oct 1, 2015  I find support for Intel™ Core® i7-4802MQ 2.70-GHz processor (1600-MHz FSB, 6.0-MB L3 cache, quad core, 47 W. I can’t find anything information about this cpu model.

It’s possible 47W TDP CPU run on this model?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I realize that this thread is a few days old but I thought I'd chime in. I have a 650 G1 that originally came with an i5-4200M and I was able to upgrade it to the i7-4700MQ. Make sure you use a good thermal paste when swapping out processors and everything will go smoothly. I'm using it as it notmally would be used and my temps do not go over 60c using AS5.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the CPU is not listed in the Service Manual then you cannot assume it will work and in fact should assume it will not. 

HP Recommended

Hi I work for HP and for the above question you would not be able to change the processor.I would recommend you to purchase a unit with a higher processor specification because changing a system on chip would cost you more than purchasing a unit with newer processor.

HP Recommended

That is not correct the processor is socketed and can be replaced and upgraded. However, the concern about economics is valid. An i7 processor is going to cost $200-500 and may approach the cost of a new laptop although nowhere near the cost of a new Probook. If you can do the work yourself it can be a viable proposition but if you have to pay for labor it will rarely make sense. 

HP Recommended

I realize that this thread is a few days old but I thought I'd chime in. I have a 650 G1 that originally came with an i5-4200M and I was able to upgrade it to the i7-4700MQ. Make sure you use a good thermal paste when swapping out processors and everything will go smoothly. I'm using it as it notmally would be used and my temps do not go over 60c using AS5.

HP Recommended

iamdark24 - Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.