Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I was working on my HP probook 6560b last week and i set it to Sleep after an hour during which time i also slept. I woke up the following day but my laptop refused to wake up, the charging light (bolt indicator) will be flashing whenever i connect the power supply or the battery.

I have removed both battery and power supply and press the power button for approximately 20sec without success.

An urgent help is needed to resolve this as soon as possible.

Thank you in anticipation.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

We've had a similar issue with our Probooks.  Below are troubleshooting steps we've taken:

Removed battery
Plugged in (via power cord)
Turned on. Fan running. NO video. Caps light blinking. Can't ping.
No response to Ctrl-Alt-Del
No response to pressing/holding power button
Unplugged. Plugged back in.
Turned on. Boots OK. Logged in.
Replaced battery. Turned on again. All appears OK.
Nothing in the event logs to indicate a critical failure.

We've had these steps work for some of the laptops, but others simply offer no response at all.  Then HP sends a box for us to ship laptop for repair and they replace the system board.

Of the 250+ of these we've ordered, I'd say we're looking at a 5% fail rate so far (they're 2 months old).

HP Recommended

Does anyone have a solution for this?  I have had this laptop for 1 week and now it won't power on.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Anyone?

I am a laptop store. Just received a lightly used Probook 6560b yesterday. Powered up without issue. Loaded Windows 7 Pro. All HP drivers loaded to include updating to the latest BIOS (rebooted fine). Ran first batch of windows updates last night. Installed fine then powered off the laptop.

Came in this AM. Hit the power button all you get is blinking amber on the power light. I have tried everything.

Hold power button 60 secs.

Pull battery.

Changed ram.

Different power supply.

With and without battery.

On battery only.

Note. When no power attached and you insert the battery, the light goes amber as soon as the battery goes in.

I have it unplugged now with just the battery in. I will let it die that way and see what happens.

Nada. Nothing. It will NOT trun on.

Anyone have any ideas? Please don't suggest that I send it to HP. I am a certified tech and can handle any work that needs to be done.

It really looks like the HP bios update did this. I updated the BIOS, rebooted (warm), then ran Windows Updates. Once those were done I "powered off" (cold) the laptop and went home. This AM nothing.

This issue is ALL over the internet without a fix.

Anyone find a fix??????

HP Recommended

Did you have any luck getting your 6560b to turn on? Same issue here.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem after the notebook went to hibernating due to low battery. After connecting power supply and press the power button, the first HP screen was shown and nothing else happend.

Following solution solved the problem for me:

- after power on when the HP screen is shown press ESC key within the first 2-3 seconds

(after approximately 5 seconds the system did not respond anymore)

- at the prompt "Login into F10 as a guest user" select "Yes"

- go to Systemm Configuration tab

- select Boot options

- highlight "Multiboot Express Popup Delay (Sec) and press "Enter" key

- change value by "UP/DOWN" keys (arrows) to minimum "05" and press again "Enter" key

- click on "Exit" (bottom right)

- on the "Save Changes" prompt select "Yes"

Now the notebook will boot again and you should see the Multiboot Express Popup menu (after the initial HP Screen).

Use the UP/DOWN keys to select "Notebook Hard Drive" and then press the "Enter" key.

Now the Notebook did boot from the HDD, and I hope that your's will too 🙂

Looks like in my case, something with the Notebook Upgrade Bay got "screwed up" when the Notebook went into hibernation due to low battery, because also boot from CD-ROM was not working.

Hope this will help somebody 🙂

Good luck

HP Recommended
Btw, found the meaning of the caps Lock blinking after power on:

LEDs blink 1 time CPU CPU not functional
LEDs blink 2 times BIOS BIOS corruption failure
LEDs blink 3 times Memory Module error not functional
LEDs blink 4 times Graphics Graphics controller not functional
LEDs blink 5 times System board General system board failure
LEDs blink 6 times BIOS BIOS authentication failure
HP Recommended

Sorry, forgot 1 point 🙂

- after power on when the HP screen is shown press ESC key within the first 2-3 seconds

(after approximately 5 seconds the system did not respond anymore)

- here you have to press the F10 key :TongueOut:

- at the prompt "Login into F10 as a guest user" select "Yes"

HP Recommended

HISTORY: I've had the same issue 3-4 times over the last several months.  Pressing the power button resulted in no response from the laptop.  Each time I tried different options and eventually pressing the power button resulted in a normal startup without error messages.  Previously it seemed that removing and reinstalling the battery was the key.

2 weeks ago I had the same problem but removing the battery multiple times and for varying amounts of time did not solve the problem.  Before sending it in for service I googled the problem and ended up on this website.  My problem was slightly different than some which indicated that some leds would light... leads were not lighting, the laptop was totally dead.

SOLUTION: Even though the laptop had been plugged in over night it seemed like a dead battery.  I tested the power brick and sure enough, 0 voltage.  I plugged and unplugged the 120v power cable to the brick, and tested the 18v power and it was now 18v!  Pressing the power button made the laptop boot as usual.  I believe there is a contact issue and wish HP would put an led on their brick as other mfgs do.

RESIDUAL ISSUE SOLVED:  The laptop said the battery was 96%, however, if I unplugged brick, the laptop would immediately stop without a proper shutdown.  I thought the battery was shot due to improper charging.  However, after a week of powering up (and down) in daily use, the battery is now working as usual.  To confirm this, I ran it on battery for 1 hr which brought the power to 60%, about right (usually says 3 hrs when fully charged).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.