Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
discman1609 Tutor
Tutor
7 4 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Product Assistant - Error 1706 - no valid source could be found

I am being plagued with this message that pops up after bootup. I have to click the X in right up corner about 6 times to get rid of it. Have tried a variety of fixes found on Google. Most fixes refer to printer software. Nothing works. The Operating System is Windows XP Pro. Laptop is an HP Pavillion dv2000.

HP MUST have a fix for this as I've seen it before. Please help!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
discman1609 Tutor
Tutor
7 4 1 1
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

19 "views" but NO solutions? How come? I don't understand. This is an HP help forum, right? Do you mean that this question has not yet been asked? I can't believe that as there are many references on Google, but no solutions that have worked for me.

I know this is an older laptop and WinXP is almost out the door but certainly someone can help?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5889 5666 450 1225
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello discman1609

I am sorry to hear you are having the 1706 error and would like to offer my assistance. I am providing you a link here  to an HP Support document titled "Fatal Error 'Error 1706. No valid source could be found for .' (MSI Error 1706) Message Displays During Software Installation in Windows ". I would suggest you read through and follow the instructions on the page to finally resolve this issue on your HP Pavilion dv2000.

I hope this resolves your issue and would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
discman1609 Tutor
Tutor
7 4 1 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dunidar,

Thank you but I've already tried to go through the solutions at the link you sent.

I have additional questions if I may?

Since I am repairing this laptop for a friend, I don't know what peripherals he has attached.

Can we be positive that the connection of a printer is causing this problem?

Would it help to simply remove and uninstall the printer software, reconnect and re-install the printer drivers?

I do not have his printer so don't know how to proceed.

Thanks again for responding but, when I go through the procedures outlined at the HP link, the directions always say to remove the printer.

The solution I'm hoping for would simply remove this message from popping up at bootup. Possible?

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation