Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 15 (12,339 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Recovery Disc Creation Error

I just bought a new HP Pavillion dv7-3085dx and a,m trying to create recovery discs as recommended by the system.

Have tried using DVD+R and DVD-R (Memorex Brand) discs to complete this process.

The program comes up, checks the disc I insert and tells me which type I have and that it will take 3 discs to complete the progess.

It then appears to be creating disc number 1.

However after said completion, then it says it is verifying the disc and then after about 5 minutes puts up an error message.

"An error occured while creating the disc.  Try a new disc or choose a different high quality brand of disc and make sure all applications arre closed."

This happened on both the DVD+R and DVD-R discs.

However, I can see in windows explorer that the disc has been created and has files on it.

Is there an update to the program or something that I'm doing wrong.

I saw where this same problem occured with another users laptop and that there was an update for their particular system.  I have checked the drivers and downloads for my particular system and there is nothing new there.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks, Merry Christmas and have a great day.

Mardy in NCSmiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Recovery Disc Creation Error

Cheryl,

WOW!!!!  I'd a never thunk it.....but you were right.

Sony DVD's worked like a charm.  Memorex sucked.

I apologize for any ill feelings I may have displayed.  I just didn't think it was possible. I stand corrected and bow to the Queen.

Thanks for the advice and hope you had a great Christmas. 

Talk at ya next year.

View solution in context
Student
Message 2 of 15 (12,312 Views)

The exact thing has happened to me this week with a new HP 60Gt Laptop. I burned through 4 DVDs getting the same error message.

Any help please?

jg

Provost
Message 3 of 15 (12,303 Views)

I have often had problems with Memorex DVDs. It may/may not not solve your problem, but try another brand..Sony is the one I usually stick with.

Normally if you Contact HP and tell them the process fails for you they will send a set free of charge.

Merry Christmas to you,too!

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Tutor
Message 4 of 15 (12,292 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cheryl,

I really appreciate the advice and the recommendation....but....I've seen toooooo many requests for help with this same problem from other users and in my own honest opinion....it should work with all DVD's no matter the manufacturer.

Or is it that HP has a sideline going with some certain companies an creates software that will only recognize certain DVD as being of good quality enough to be used.   HMMMMM!!!!!!

This is getting worse than the "add-on" fees from a bank.......Smiley Sad

Well, I guess I'll give another brand a try, but it sure grips my grits.

Have a great day.

Marda in Fayetteville NC

Provost
Message 5 of 15 (12,275 Views)

Like I said_it may/may not help,only a suggestion. This is a rather common problem we see lately, some models have patches posted for the Creator that help..some like yours don't have. 

Call HP to request the set now if you prefer.

Btw, my mention of brand is not an endorsement of Sony.It is just the brand I have best results with on both my desktop and laptop--Memorex dvd is the brand I have most failures with. Memorex cds I use with no problems.It is not just HP Recovery Creator..I burn many dvds of different types. Verbatim,Sony,even Maxell work better for me.

Tutor
Message 6 of 15 (12,217 Views)

Cheryl,

WOW!!!!  I'd a never thunk it.....but you were right.

Sony DVD's worked like a charm.  Memorex sucked.

I apologize for any ill feelings I may have displayed.  I just didn't think it was possible. I stand corrected and bow to the Queen.

Thanks for the advice and hope you had a great Christmas. 

Talk at ya next year.

Provost
Message 7 of 15 (12,206 Views)

Hi Mardy in NC

You are quite welcome,glad you have the problem resolved. No apologies needed_I fully understand frustrations with a software that doesn't seem to work right,epecially on a brand new machine.

Thanks,had a nice Christmas,hope you did as well.Yep,see ya here next year!

Cheryl in SC Smiley Happy

Student
Message 8 of 15 (11,865 Views)

Hi, the same happened to me with my old DV2000 when I bought it 3 years ago and now with my new DV6. Having lost a fair few disks both times, I have had enough.

I took your advice and called then, and now they are sending them free. I really cannot be bothered to go and buy a pack of Sony disks when I have a couple of hundred of other brands.

Thanks Cheryl.

crOg, London, UK.

Smiley Very Happy

Student
Message 9 of 15 (10,976 Views)

I have purchased 3 differnt brands of disks to do the backup but none have worked.  All were recommended by Staples.  Where do you you buy the magical disks that work?  I would think that $14.99 per box should be high quality!  The phone number for HP?

Thanks,

Mary from Overland Park Kansas  

Regents Professor
Message 10 of 15 (10,967 Views)

@ Sippel  (Mary)

Was one of the disc brands Sony ? Did you use non rewritable disc's ?

If it still will not work then you can try reinstalling your recovery manager software for your model or use some third party software to create some bootable disc's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation