Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
13-w023dx (same as 13-w063nr)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to reinstall some drivers and thought to do it from HP Recovery Manager.  But, as per subject, I noticed both options are disabled with the note (Disabled: Recovery Manager doesn't support this feature after Windows Upgraded).  I wasn't aware that my windows was upgraded.  I thought Windows 10 Anniversary edition is simply an update, not an upgrade.  Did I misunderstand?  Or, did something go wrong on my x360?  Any way enabling those options under recovery manager?

Essentially, I want to reinstall some standard windows drivers that could be corrupted. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Hi,

You could download drivers from here if you're not able to get it from Recovery manager:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-x360-Convertible-PC-series/12499178/model...

May be recovery partition got corrupted on update. No idea how Windows Update lead to this.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks Dean for the suggestion.  I have reinstalled all the drivers from HP site already. What I am looking for are the standard Windows 10 drivers such as HID keyboard/mouse, WAN Miniport (various), USB input device, USB audio device, Generic PnP Monitor, Generic USB hub, etc etc. Selecting Update driver software does nothing but to say I have the best driver for my device, etc.   Searching online or MS site often sends me in a loop as there are no simple "trusted" file I can just download to update the driver from an offical site.

Would be great if HP can confirm whether it is correct for those options to be disabled after the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update.  Or if something went wrong with mine.   And any suggestions or action for correction if this can be corrected.  

In a slightly related note, if I do a windows reset, does it go back to original Windows 10 or does it go back to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition?  Same goes for system recovery.  Does it go back to original factory version to Window 10 or to Anniversary EditioN?

HP Recommended

It'll go back to Windows 10 factory set configuration settings.

HP has no official presence here.

This is just peer-to-peer support forum where we all are end users.

The only suggestion I've is if it is seen disabled, it may well be the case that HP recovery partition is corrupted. I assume you've already created recovery USB after first setup of this laptop.

Now about standard Windows drivers, there is no need of you updating it externally. Just let the Windows Updates do it's job. All standard drivers are part of Windows 10 OS.
HP Recommended

Thanks for that info.  Unfortunately, I did not create a recovery disk yet.  I understand windows do its updates but you know sometimes the windows drivers get corrupted and manually need to reinstall.  I'm having some nuances so thought to reinstall the drivers and go from there. 

Cheers,

HP Recommended
Hi,

You can try creating recovery USB and see it completes successfully.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04641788

About updates, if it is not broken no need to repair them. Manual updating of corrupted drivers come in this category. So the question is do you have any problem with any of the drivers as of now?

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I will try to create a USB recovery.  The reason for my tardiness is that I wanted to use reliable quality USB drive for that as you are only allowed to create 1.  

I guess I was trying to fix a few problems and wanted to see if the drivers were the culprit.  I have an HP support case open already for the more serious one (#2) so no need for another case to be created.  My issues are:

1. Wireless mouse and keyboard cannot wake laptop from sleep.  (tried both Logitech wirelss dongles I have via type-c Dock and directly on the laptop 3.0 port) Even tried a bluetooth mouse.

2. Bigger issue is my power/sleep button does not work when the laptop lid is closed using external monitor.  Once it goes to sleep, I have to open the lid to wake up the laptop.  sleep button works when laptop is open and in tablet mode. Different support staff tells me different things (hardware issue to this laptop not supposed to do that) and I read on board that some people have no issue with #1 and #2.  

3. Wireless display to TV sometimes disconnects video (audio still transmits) so have to disconnect/reconnect to work again

4. Sound output to external monitor speakers does not always work.  Device output switches properly but I have to goto properties on the monitor speaker device and switch output frequency on communications for the sound to come out.  Until it goes to sleep and wakes up again.  Not always though so it's intermittent. 

5. And of course, the posting here about the recovery manager disabling some things becuase it's saying my Windows was Upgraded.  WTH

So, I'm just trying things to see if it's driver issue or not.  

HP Recommended

All these issues came after anniversary update or it was there right from first day with this notebook?

HP Recommended

I want to say right from the get go but I can't be certain because I updated the Windows the 1st day.  

HP Recommended

Well then, try creating recovery USB first.

Then if you desire, you can try to do factory reset and see if all these issues resolves.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.