cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mutley01
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP SIMPLE PASS 6.0.100.276

ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I AM TIRED OF THIS ISSUE! EVERY SINGLE TIME MY BROWSER UPDATES, THE SIMPLE PASS STOPS FUNCTIONING. WHY HP, WHY IN THE HELL YOU MAKE AND SELL PC'S WITH SOMETHING YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT????

DO YOU MAYBE REALIZE THAT PEOPLE BUY THIS KIND OF PC BECAUSE OF THE FEATURE OF FINGERPRINT SCANNER????

I AM TIRED OF LOOKING FOR ANY KIND OF STUPENDOUS SOLUTIONS, DISABLINGS AND WORK AROUNDS!

YOU SELL PC WITH A SCANNER, YOU SHOULD BE UPDATING TO ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!

FIREFOX 48 -- NOT WORKING

WINDOWS IE - NOT WORKING

MS EDGE - NOT WORKING

CHROME - NOT WORKING

WHAT GIVES????!!!!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
Level 15
23,815 23,596 2,044 7,476
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mutley01

Welcome to the HP Community Forum - we are a community of HP enthusiasts!

No need to YELL -- we are friendly here on the forum.  This is not a direct conduit to HP Technical Support nor does HP have an official presence here.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

The version of HP SimplePass you are trying to use is not rated for use with Windows 10.

Series 6 HP Simplepass, that is, any version 6.x is not any longer updated nor is it supported beyond making it available.  The authors of the code, AuthenTec, sold their company to Apple some time ago -- the company no longer exists.

Likely, since you can run Series 6 HP SimplePass at all, you can switch to the supported Series 8 HP Simplepass program.  Series 8 HP SimplePass is written, supported, and supplied to HP by Softex.

At writing, the latest version:

sp76923 HP SimplePass V8.01.62A W7-W10 32/64bitS

The latest Series 8 HP SimplePass works with Firefox and the latest SimplePass is also now supported on Chrome.

Edge, while it is a nice browser, does not support much of anything yet; Edge does not support fingerprint login software.

Internet Explorer likely does not support fingerprint website login.  This is normal.

Caveats for switching from one Series to another Series of the SimplePass program:

• Series 6 HP SimplePass is NOT compatible with Series 8 HP SimplePass.
  • You cannot transfer your websites / passwords database from one Series to the other.  This means that if you switch to Series 8 HP SimplePass, you must start over and enter your websites and passwords to create a new database.
  •  Series 8 HP SimplePass is NOT an "upgrade" of Series 6 - these are two different programs written by two different companies.
  • You cannot have both Series 6 HP SimplePass and Series 8 HP SimplePass on the computer at the same time.

You may want / need to update your Validity Sensor Driver.

You do not need a Windows 10 rated Validity Driver -- you do need a driver that would run on Windows 8.x OS.  Find your Driver at your computer's Website Support Driver page (or use a compatible driver found in the Dragon document below).

Basics:

• Make sure you can log into your computer using your Windows Password
  • If you like an extra margin of safety, create an additional Admin account (local account -- NOT using Microsoft login)
  • Create a Restore Point
  • (Re)install fingerprint Driver first
  • Reboot the computer and log in
  • Confirm that Windows PIN and fingerprint login is still enabled and functional in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options
  • Remove / Uninstall Series 6 HP SimplePass
  • Download and install the latest version of Series 8 HP SimplePass

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Sections of interest include:

• Order of Events is important
  • Change Sign-In Options
  • Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass
  • Switch HP SimplePass Series (6 to 8 or 8 to 6)

• Bits and Drivers

• Safe-House Account – Secondary Administrative Account

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Mutley01
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I am not yelling I am just beyond disbelieve upset and frustrated, due to the lack of interest from HP to assist with these problems.

I know I am using old version, because that was the only one I was able to make work on my PC. I tried the 8.0 and I tried all available versions available for download. NONE of them work! This 6.0.100... is the only one that I was able to make work with old Firefox 38. Nothing past that.

Believe me the 8.0 is not a solution. My frustration is with HP, the lack of SUPPORT, INTEREST and PROFESIONALISM. WHat other software can I use with my scanner????

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mutley01

You are trying to get support for code for which there is no longer any support - no code writers, no access to the core code (HP did not write the program suite), no way to update the program to work with new browsers and new security.

It is sad, yes.

I am using V8.01.62 SimplePass on an HP Envy TS 17, fully updated with HP Drivers for Windows 10, Windows 10 Pro AU (Anniversary Update), Firefox 48.0.2

This does not mean it will work for you -- it does mean that Firefox 48.x and SimplePass are compatible as claimed, at least for some setups, situations, and environments.

I can offer the following (some of which is perhaps repeated):

You must be running a relatively recent Validity Sensor Driver to use the newer SimplePass program on Windows 10.  Something newer than the 4.3.205.0 version.

Know that like other installed programs, SimplePass is sensitive to the infrastructure (File System) on your computer.  If you lack HP Drivers for Windows 10 and / or if your Windows 10 Updates are not all installed, then things can get complicated or not work as expected.

You may need to clear out all your Firefox bits and start with a fresh installation.  This means exporting your bookmarks, removing the program, checking and removing any bits in your AppData tree > rebooting > download and install fresh Firefox.

If aught else fails:

If you think it worth the time, please see the suggestions to start with Firefox 29 and then update the browser.

Subject / Section in the Dragon document:

• Firefox and Series 8 HP SimplePass

Commentary

• Softex (currently at version 8.x) HP SimplePass is the main "go to" fingerprint software.
  • It is free for use with your computer.
  • I am not familiar nor aware of the alternatives, although there certainly may be some out there.

If you wish, (you can) purchase Avast Premier security software -- the program suite includes a rather awesome password manager.  The setup does not use your fingerprint reader.

Good Luck.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Mutley01
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I will try it again and let you know. We have almost exactly the same computers and OS's. So there should not be a reason for different outcomes.

Does it work for you with other browsers, like the above mentioned, especially Edge?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mutley01

@Mutley01 wrote:

Thanks. I will try it again and let you know. We have almost exactly the same computers and OS's. So there should not be a reason for different outcomes.

Does it work for you with other browsers, like the above mentioned, especially Edge?

Edge does not work "yet":

Softex is probably working on the code to let it work with Edge.  You can keep checking the Edge Add-ons.  I am not holding breath for Edge.

IE is old now and won't ever be added.

Chrome works -- and Chrome is not nearly so painful to use as it was "before" (back in the day).   You can certainly install Chrome and try the latest Series 8 HP SimplePass with that to ensure that your basic SimplePass setup is functional.

I just installed / retested Chrome:

Install Chrome > open program > Settings > Extensions > Enable SimplePass > Enter Windows Password > add fingerprints (cannot be same as other prints already added) > Click Done

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

This installation of Windows 10 is native and not a migration.   The system is new enough that "new" Firefox and latest SimplePass fell into place (after the PIN setup / fingerprint enablement was adjusted in Settings).  As much trouble as Firefox has always had with SimplePass, I admit this was gratifying.

If your system is "newer" and Windows 10 is a native installation, then I would suspect it can work for you. 

Basics to start:

Remove Firefox, remove SimplePass > reboot >  ensure the PIN and native Windows fingerprint logon are set up and working > check / update the driver > reboot > add SimplePass > reboot

If it just won't budge, try the "start with Firefox 29.x" bits in that section.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation