cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
artphotodude
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Slatebook 14 - Firmware corrupted - anyway to repair?

HP Recommended
HP Slatebook 14
Android 4.4 KitKat

Hello:  I have a Slatebook 14 (32GB European model - needed more app space than 16GB US version allowed) that was working superbly, but then became unusable (the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard only work very occasionally). 

I followed the support-team's instructions to reset to factory defaults, but the problem persists.  I purchased this as an HP refurbished product and the website even says it should be covered, but the tech team says they will not honor the warrentee since I live in the U.S.  The seller in Europe can accept it back, but I'll be out $125+ for shipping with nothing to show for it.

An Android service tech here says that the input-drivers for this product are non-standard and live in the firmware and nobody seems to have any idea where to obtain an image to flash it from (despite the fact that HP formally released the source-code for said firmware).

Is there ANY hope for this situation?  Poor support aside, I really liked this item, But it is shaping up to be the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See if a factory reset helps, see section "resetting with the notebook powered off".

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-SlateBook-14-p000/6944198/model/7371834/document/c03791151/

0 Kudos
artphotodude
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory Reset didn't fix it.  I really need an open bootloader and factory reset image - OR some place to send it to achieve same.

0 Kudos
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP factory reset uses a factory image stored on a hidden partition.

0 Kudos
artphotodude
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Curious, because it behaves just like any ordinary Android reset. 

A friend also has a Slatebook, and his even has touchscreen support when in recovery mode.  This one doesn't.  I know it isn't a hardware issue though, because the touchscreen, trackpad and keyboard do work, occasionally, but then stop whenever the system is running something.  It acts as if the 'Priority' of the drivers (or perhaps root access) has been lost.

Online, this has been reported many times in response to the update to Kitkat. 

The most annoying thing is the lack of company support for an item so new. 

0 Kudos
Mumbodog
Level 12
12,390 12,217 582 1,542
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I may be wrong about that image, I just assume HP did the same thing for Android as they do for Windows.

Sounds like a kit kat issue.

HP has never been good on timely support options. 

0 Kudos
boidsonly
Level 3
44 37 1 5
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go here and look for your device.  If it can be fixed, somone on there has done it.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation