cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sc597
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre XT Pro Wireless Signal Quality?

Hi All,

Is anyone else suffering from terrible wifi signal quality with the Spectre XT Pro? I'm running it with the default Microsoft 14.8.8.75 driver (Windows 😎 from 2011 for the Advanced N 6235 chipset. It's far worse even than my old HTC phone in picking up a wifi signal around my house, and there are a few rooms where my family's other two laptops are fine and the Spectre sees nothing! Any ideas? Have they not mounted the antenna in the screen or something, or is this a driver problem?

Regards

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 20
Level 20
111,987 102,164 16,025 24,620
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may want to try the latest W8 driver from Intel for the card and see if that helps (15.6 - 02/20/2013).

You want the second download listed for W8 64 bit.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22497&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%...

Another thing I like to do is to go into the advanced settings for the wireless card and set the roaming aggessiveness from the default to the 'Lowest' setting.

You can read the info at the link below for the settings and how to access them.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm

0 Kudos
sc597
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. I've updated to the latest but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I notice in the Proset statistics that the maximum power output is 25mW, compared with 32mW for the Vaio I happen to have with me at the time. I don't know whether that difference is enough to explain what I'm seeing, but it's definitely significantly less capable than other devices. Perhaps my aerial isn't connected properly!

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
111,987 102,164 16,025 24,620
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry those tips didn't work.

There are very rare circumstances where one of the antenna leads is not securely attached to the wireless adapter from the factory.

You can always check them if the card in your model is readily accessible.

On most notebooks, they are in a compartment that can be accessed on the bottom of the PC.

0 Kudos
sc597
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As an Ultrabook we're not supposed to be unscrewing these, but I'm tempted, thanks for the suggestion. However I imagine if it wasn't properly connected there would be a dramatic loss of signal rather than just a slight weakness as I'm experiencing.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation