Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (275 Views)

HP Spectre x360 12hr battery lasts about 4hrs and gets HOT

Product Name: HP Spectrex360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello all,

I'm really hoping to get to the bottom of this. When I was on the market for a laptop, I needed one that would have great battery, be light, and be fast - as a result, I purchased a "HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 15t touch" -- Product number: P0A58AV_1. I mention the exact name and product number to ensure that if someone from HP sees this they know that I'm referring to the newer model - from 2016. 

The computer is fast -- not as fast as I was hoping after upgrading to the i7 with max RAM, but fast enough. It's also light. But the battery is horrible! I travel often and that's why I need a good battery - I just came off a flight yesterday where the laptop went from 99% to 43% after a movie that was a little under 2hrs.  The day before I was working on Photoshop and it lasted about 3.5hrs total. The other day I was simply keeping it on as it was downloading a large file, with brightness down to about 50%, and it lasted 4.5hrs. This is outrageous! 

To clarify - I am a very technical user (web developer), and have already done everything I can (within reason) to stretch the battery life as much as possible. Disabled bluetooth and WiFi searching, I keep the brightness at 75% max at all times and 50% when possible, and I also maxed the CPU to 70%. Still, the laptop will not hold more than 5hrs even when not actively working on it, and it will barely hit 4hrs if watching video on it.

Furthermore, as I am writing this I only have a Chrome brower open with a few tabs and the laptop is heating up. Dare I open a heavier application and it gets super hot and loud. 

I've had the laptop for a few months now, but these issues have been around since the beginning. I really need to figure out:

1) If this is typical of HP. I've had Mac, Lenovo, and Dell laptops before and they were all good until a few years into it. Obviously they bump the battery specs in their ads, but normally it's only by about 20-30%.. not like this. If HPs quality is just mediocre then unfortunately lesson learned the hard way, and I'll keep it in mind for next time. 

2) If every HP Spectre x360 is experiencing the same issues - if so, I really think that we could get together and do something about it. The 12hr claim is mind blowing, when I've never even hit half of that while running the computer at 70% of power/brightness. Then again, maybe I just got a bad one?

Any input would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (220 Views)

Re: HP Spectre x360 12hr battery lasts about 4hrs and gets HOT

@rafaelro

Welcome to the HP Forums :)

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the HP Spectre x360 12hr battery lasts about 4hrs and gets HOT,

Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue.
The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (198 Views)

Hi there,

I was so excited to try your solution, but it didn't work... I left it run to 15%, turned it off for half hour, and then I uninstalled the Battery control and restarted the computer which reinstalled it. I let the laptop go to 0%, then charged it to 100%, and tried to see how long it would last... about 4hrs again. I watched a video that was a little under 2hrs and it went to 46% - I then worked on emails and Word for another 2hrs and it went to 12%. 

This is with the processor running at 70% and brightness at 75% - it's sad. 

I went through other threads in the forum and found people reporting the same thing. I have an i7 if that makes a difference. 

At this stage, I almost wish I could give it back and get a different model/brand... very disappointed with the battery power, and had I known that the stronger processor (even at 70%!!) would eat up the battery like that I would have never chosen to spend the extra money to update. 4hrs a few months in means a couple of hours by next year.. I bought this laptop for travelling!

Please let me know if there is anything else you would recommend. I checked the links and my issue doesn't fit any of them - the laptop charges fine (pretty fast too) and no blinking lights or anything. 

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (179 Views)

@rafaelro

Thank you for replying,

The best way to identify the cause of the failure in your case is to try with an alternate adapter to check if that charges as quickly as the current adapter does,

Also if you could try an alternate battery we could dissect the issue and understand the failure,

You could also run a battery test using the hardware diagnostic test tool: Click here for details

Keep me posted,

Regards

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (161 Views)

The diagnostic says that the battery is working properly. I do not have a different adapter or a different battery... what do I do now? 

The main thing I want to figure out is whether my laptop has a problem or if HP claimed that the battery lasts MUCH longer than it does. If it's the latter than I should cut my losses short and stop wasting time trying workarounds.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (142 Views)

[ Edited ]

@rafaelro

Thank you for the update,

I would recommend you contact HP for a replacement adapter,
If that doesn't work, they should be able to repair your computer (Free of charge, if the pc is under HP Warranty).

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Click here

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation