cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adamartsy
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Spectre x360 Touchpad/Trackpad issue (Erratic + Unresponsive)

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Product: HP Spectre x360

Product #: L0Q59UA#ABL

Hi, I'm having a problem with the touchpad's sensitivity and responsiveness. My father bought me this laptop a week or two ago and it's been great. By far the best laptop I've had thus far, but now it is having a major issue with the touchpad. I've scoured and googled this problem and these forums and found similar things but all the solutions offered were ineffective and I'm also having some problems I didn't see reported about.

The touchpad was fine at first, and whenever I restart the laptop, it's fine and works as intended. However, a few minutes into use, if that, it starts to act up. By this, I mean the following:

1. The cursor does not go where I intend it
  2. It's laggy
  3. Left click results in that omni-directional scrolling icon and trying to move the mouse means scrolling/moving the page.
  4. Right click moves off to the side and is generally weird and cannot click accurately.
  5. I can no longer soft tap to click/select something.
  6. The mouse moves on its own. As I was typing this, it tried to select/move/edit stuff. It's very erratic and makes typing or clicking or selecting very difficult.
  7. The page scrolls down on its own.
  8. I'm starting to think my laptop is haunted.

There's more I can't think of right now, so I might edit the original post/comment with more info or make a subsequent post in this thread.

I've tried to clean the touchpad with a lightly wetted towel (to get rid of any oil finger stains or whatever), and followed it with a dry one. I tried to keep it clean and nice and make sure no water seeped into it or anything. No liquids have been spilled on it.

It started being really weird today, so I googled and found there was an update released on Saturday, so I downloaded it and updated. It seemed to work for a little bit, but then it went right back to being problematic within a handful or two of minutes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, disabling and re-enabling, literally everything I could think of. I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so maybe there's something I'm overlooking. 

Returning the laptop is out of the question, as my dad lives in the States and I live in Canada and he let me use his credit card. If he knew there were already problems on a week-old laptop, he'd give me a lot of grief and I'd have to ask for his info again for the Best Buy people if I go for help in person, etc. I think it comes with a one-year warranty, but I'm not sure. It'd just be a colossal hassle, and I'd rather keep my dad out of it. Spare us both the headache.

It also was doing this when in Presentation mode, which is odd, since I was under the impression it and the keypad disabled itself when in presentation mode. So, why is this happening?

Every attempt to uninstall the Synaptics touchpad driver results in it still showing up. I've been trying to reinstall, but the system doesn't want to cooperate and even when I do it, it doesn't show that the thing uninstalled even after turning off and restarting, etc.

This message has been really annoying to type because my laptop itself seems to want to fight me at every step with regards to typing/selecting. It does it by itself, and I want to fight my laptop.

Please help me out if you can. I'm at my wits' end and would appreciate any sort of help.

Thanks to anyone who tries.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello adamartsy,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicaly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If you have already resolved your matters, please disregard this message.

Thank you
Duane_D

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HibaG
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello, can I please get some help too, I have been having almost the same hassle and I am completely deseperate.

0 Kudos
Anton179
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have also been having similar issues with my synatics touchpad ever since I bought mine 6 months ago. Mainly the gestures not seem to be working all that well/erratically unresponsive. For example, the tap ounce and hold to drag option, well that never worked. Also the tap to click is erratically unresponsive sometimes after wake up from sleep. Have reinstall and deleted drivers numerous times according to the instructions of the HP phone support staff and have come to the point where everything seems to be working (scrolling still doesn't work in some windows) except that now we just have to improve the responsives (particulary relating to the three figer swiping gestures).

0 Kudos
tattey
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm also having issues like this.  Most frustrating and time consuming is that the pointer tends to snap content.  For instance, when I try to highlight specific text to drag, format, etc., moving my mouse to perform a function tends to highlight all the content along the way to the function button or drop point.    

So as a workaround, I have to click after I select the content and then do what I need to do. (or sometimes just click to get the mouse to release content when I wasn't selecting any content but which was highlighted simply by moving my pointer.) 

This doesn't always happen - about 90% of the time ( the inconsistency just makes it more annoying.)  So I'm reasonably sure that its not a setting or something particular to HP (I'm new to HP having come from Dell )-:

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this?

Cheers

0 Kudos
SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 5,326 351 632
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @tattey,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the Touch Pad issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that some features of the Touch Pad is not working as it should.

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number and Operating System of the notebook?  You can use the links below to assist you with that information:

HP Customer Support - Products
Which Windows operating system am I running?

In the meantime, try reviewing the following document that is related to your Operating System, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation