Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Sstream 13 Windows 10 upgrade

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I attempted to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my HP Stream 13 and it told me I had a compressed Operation System and it could not continue the upgrade.  Did som research and I now know more about the WMI installs.  My question is with Microsoft announcing that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for users running Windows 7 and newer will we be able to upgrade our Stream 13s directly from Microsoft or will we need a special image from HP?  If we need a special image from HP how will effect the time frame we will be able to upgrade our laptops laptops.  I am an IT professional so I tend to jump in with both feet when I get a chance at an OS upgrade so I want to be able to upgrade when Microsoft releases Window 10 right away.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Earlier releases of Windows 10 allowed for an in-place upgrade of a Windows 8.1 WIMBoot system.  The "Windows can't be installed because this PC uses a compressed operating system." error was introduced with the latest Windows 10 build 9926 so hopefully later releases and the final release will not have this restriction. 

You may know this but if you wipe the drive clean rather than trying to install over Windows 8.1, you can install Windows 10 build 9926 fresh.  You would just have to reinstall the device drivers after installation.

Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay good to hear.  I just wanted to do the implace upgrade because teh WIMboot does save a good chunk of space.  Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
1,587 1,577 133 309
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think I had over 20 GB available on the C: drive after the fresh Windows 10 installation so it did not seem to take much space.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Right but the Stream 13 only has like 28GB of useable space and even with the 7GB recover partition it creates I have over 10GB or availabe space still.  Not sure what type of voodoo Microsoft is doing with the WIMBoot but it works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are there any tips on how to wipe the computer clean and then upgrade to windows 10 without windows 8 on the machine already?  I'm so confused and wondering if the upgrade is even worth it at this point.  I've had this computer for 3 hours and feel completely dejected and almost regretting moving away from my apple.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation