Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
MJasonT Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP StarWars Edition (15-an001ne) Freeze/Hang Issue

HP Pavillion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm encoutering sudden freeze/hang issue on my newly bought HP Star Wars Edition Laptop (15-an001ne) with product no. T8S34EA#ABV. at first I thought it's because of the not updated drivers etc. promted by HP support, but then after completing the update the freeze/hang still occurs. I only installed 2 games (Borderlands 2 & Guild Wars 2) on this laptop and yet even not playing them the freeze/hang occurs.

Thank you,
MJasonT

P.S.

May I add that it felt a little hot on the right half of the body of the notebook. but not that hot to be identified that it overheated.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16542 952 2191
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MJasonT,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your Star Wars Special Edition 15-an001ne Notebook and issues with freezing or hanging. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Here is a link to a document for help, if this still happens.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
n1cholson Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We're seeing this problem, too.  And with the most expensive HP Star Wars laptop.

I'm a Windows & PC software with over 30 years experience and I'm very disappointed in the quality of the laptop.
I purchased it as a Christmas gift for a family member.  She's experiencing frequent hangs/freezes.

It was so bad that she shipped her laptop to me to fix.  I installed every possible BIOS, driver and OS update, and even tested the stability by running the Disney Star Wars video screen saver for 12 hours.  It will seem to run OK for a while then after 20 minutes to several hours of normal use browsing the web, the laptop will hang.

These aren't application crashes or recoverable display driver failures, these are bus hangs.  This is symptomatic of defective chipsets -- the type of failure that can't be cured with a software update.  I suspect HP knows that these laptops are defective and is issuing BIOS, driver and application updates to buy time, knowing full well that they can't fix the problem.  

The recommendation that HP support representatives have given here is very generic, suggesting that it's a Microsoft update issue or that it can be cured by a simple driver update.

But bus hangs aren't normal for any PC, ever.  Driver crashes should not cause a bus hang.  These hangs are Severity 1, critical failures that result in loss of data, potential hard drive and OS corruption and a profoundly negative reflection on the quality of products from HP, and to a certain extent Disney.  These Star Wars laptops are premium, high profile products and for multiple customers to be encountering frequent critical hardware failures is completely unacceptable.

We've updated drivers multiple times from the HP site:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/star-wars-special-edition-15-an000-notebook/9033381/...

The freeze/hang problem will appear to be gone for a while and then returns.

The symptom is the mouse stops working and it's impossible to recover by waiting, pressing ctrl-alt-del, or doing anything but powering off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. 

If it turns out that these premium HP laptops with content licensed from Disney, are lemons, HP may permanently damage the reputation of their computing brand.

Again, it's clear that multiple people are having the same issue. This type of hang should NEVER happen with a new computer, particularly one from a vendor as large as HP.

HP has a 12 month warranty on these laptops and if they don't resolve these hang issues by February 15th, 2016, I'd encourage anyone that has continued occurrences of freezes/hangs to demand that HP accept the product as being defective and refund money to their customers.

HP, you're on notice. Fix this CRITICAL SEVERITY 1 hang problem ASAP!  

n1cholson Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MJasonT,

Did you ever discover a fix to your Star Wars Edition laptop freeze issue, or did you return the product?

0 Kudos
MJasonT Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi n1cholson,

Regarding our problem for the hang/freeze issue, i tried upgrading all the drivers and windows updates yet it continues to hang/freeze.  until i look into Event Viewer which i found out that the wireless chipset causes the error of WHEA-LOGGER event 17 9xd15 in which i wonder why i still get the error/hang/freeze if HP provided me the latest updates i needed for my laptop. so i tried using a 3rd party software for the drivers which is TweakBit and after scanning it detects that there are still drivers that aren't updated.

after updating the drivers using TweakBit the error WHEA-Logger Event 17 in Event Viewer is gone, I also been able to play Guild Wars 2 without hanging and freezing. yet im not sure if this really fixes the hang/freeze issue because i only use the laptop every weekends but unlike before using the said driver software even just browsing the laptop hangs/freezes.

n1cholson Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed reply, MJasonT.

It's interesting that the TweakBit software finds drivers that HP doesn't make available, particularly when this is a common error of a flagship product.  

I wonder, does HP Management know that Product Support is not doing its job? 

HP Product Management, do you want a 1-star rating on Amazon for the Star Wars laptops?  Because if you don't fix this problem by February 15th, that's what's going to happen.

MJasonT Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would like to put an update into this problem, the solution I mentioned above perfectly worked on the laptop, ive been able to play and let the laptop stand by (because I'm downloading something) without hanging/freezing for almost a day (plugging in the charger when needed and pulling it out when the battery reaches 100%). 

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions I really appreaciate it :)

0 Kudos
n1cholson Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

STILL NO SOLUTION!

Apparently HP laptops aren't supported by HP.  The HP Star Wars Edition laptops continue to hang and crash, with no comment from HP.  

Please help spread the word that HP ships computers that hang, causing customers to lose all of their work.  They are no longer a reliable source of computing equipment.

Buy Lenovo or Dell, just don't waste your money on an HP branded PC.

n1cholson Tutor
Tutor
6 0 5
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Eventually after months of installing updates, either HP or Microsoft managed to fix the issues with this laptop.  It wasn't fixed until May 2016.  Now it's a great laptop but it was extremely bad when released.

0 Kudos
jcarlson0312 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

MY HP Star Wars Laptop was given to me a exactly a year ago on Christmas for 2016.  During gameplay of Diablo III my

laptop has started to hang/freeze after a couple hours of gameplay.

Ctrl + Alt + Dlt doesn't do anything .  This started happening today, 1/07/2017.  This laptop has worked superbly for a year without any issue. 

Is this particular brand of HP Laptop under a recall yet?  If not it should be if so many people are having the same issues. 

I even checked all my system updates.  They were all successful and up-to-date.  Is there anything that Best Buy can do for us.  We only had a warranty for 12 months and we are now beyond that time period.

We are very concerned at this point.

Jenny Carlson, CT (HP Customer)

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation