cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
totallykrazzy
Level 1
17 12 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Stream 11 Wifi Card

HP Recommended

I was wondering if the wifi card on the Stream 11 could be upgraded to a wifi card a 5GHz wifi card because i am thinking of getting this laptop for school uses and the school's wifi is 5GHz wifi. 

Also I need to know where i can buy it in store. I live in Campbelltown, near Sydney, NSW, Australia

Thx

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
91,856 91,737 11,841 25,299
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Still very new, I can't answer the first question. For the second question, you can go to Harvey Norman and ask, they have 65 shops in NSW:

http://harveynorman.findnearest.com.au/?OriginState=NSW&submittopage=locatorresult.asp

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/hp-stream-11-d009tu-laptop-pink.h...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

totallykrazzy
Author
Level 1
17 12 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thx bro

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think the WiFi card in the Stream is soldered to motherboard. That is second hand knolledge from someone who has taken appart a Stream 13. Also I think while 5Ghz is a quieter band I think beyond adding a card if you could you would need to upgrade antennas and that would be more added complication. Otherwise I think you would find the 5Ghz signal range very poor indeed. From my experience unless you plan to be close to a access point for Wifi. 2.4 ghz will be far better for range. This is why many public and community wifi access points will probably not widely use 5Ghz. 2.4 Ghz still has the range advantage.

0 Kudos
anonymous392
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@totallykrazzy wrote:

I was wondering if the wifi card on the Stream 11 could be upgraded to a wifi card a 5GHz wifi card because i am thinking of getting this laptop for school uses and the school's wifi is 5GHz wifi. 

Also I need to know where i can buy it in store. I live in Campbelltown, near Sydney, NSW, Australia

Thx

Yes I replaced mine!  The HP Stream 11 has a "Half Mini PCIe" slot.  I would recommend getting ether a IEEE 802.11ac or the Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 IEEE 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 (Free Software friendly) card.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation